Minor Unit Tech Upgrades... Xferring tech to allies...

Tech sharing sounds good, particularly if tied together with espionage.

For example: Germany may share tank tech with Italy, but, then the risk of Allied espionage stealing this tech should increase.

I doubt if we'll see minor unit upgrades. However, it IS possible to edit unit values by individual country, even minors. So maybe the Spanish veterans can be a notch above the average minor, etc. And Axis minors could be beefed up a notch here and there, as if they had a tech level advance.

Tech sharing is a possibility. There have been some complaints about the catchup bonus in SC1, so perhaps that can be made optional. The same modifiers for higher enemy tech levels could easily be applied for higher friendly tech levels, hence a friendly catchup bonus. Either way, it will probably still be a random process and not a sure-thing.

Why are countries like Canada not able to upgrade with the Brits? In some cases the Canadians were more advanced. I think minors should upgrade with their Major powers but with some limitations. The Germans did not share tank advances with their Allies (they may have but they did not build them) but the British minors had the same equipment. Free French should upgrade with the Brits or more realistically the US. I also think minor countries should ocassionally get lucky and upgrqade by themselves such as Finland.

May I suggest that, especially if the minors can't make research of their own, the techs of the dominant majors (Britain and Germany.. at least in SC1 tongue.gif ) automatically transfers to the minors with a delay of one level. Thus the minors would gain tech but would be one level behind the majors. This would simulate the fact that the majors did share their tech advances to their allies, but only their second-best and not their state-of-the-art equipment (Finland could only buy Bf109s after Germany got FW190, for example).

With this system the minors wouldn't fall too far behind in the tech race without still having top-notch units.

• 2 weeks later...

The Germans in WW2 sent by submarine and long-range aircraft...equipment and plans for much of their first line equipment. Of course the Japanese paid for it...it wasn't free!.

The japanese were just starting to produce their own Jets...almost identical to the ME 262...as well as other things...just before the war in the pacific ended.

The reason why they didnt produce everything that the Germans had was because the needs in the Pacific were different than the needs in the European Theater...the ME 262, as an example was an exception.

Maybey the reason why the Italians didnt produce the Tiger Tank might be that they wern't industrially set up to produce it, or had other more pressing concerns...who knows!.

So just because one is an ally...doesn't necessarily mean that...that ally will have all of the same equipment as the original owner!.

[ May 18, 2004, 09:27 PM: Message edited by: Retributar ]