Rambo tournament final game: Hellraiser (axis) vs Colin (allies)

Time to declare Hellraiser the winner.

There is a huge allied armada heading to Egypt but its mostly on transports and it doesn't look like I will capture a port to land them. I can pull them back, but do not really have enough time/MPP to launch something else before Hellraser defeats the Russians.

My strategy was long term - had lots of industrial and production technology for US/USSR and all three allies were at IW3. But its not enough, Hellraiser didn't make many surprise moves but everything he did was slightly faster and slightly better than I expected.

Besides, he now just has to build U-boats to completely neutralize the West.

The Egypt move I think was a good one but the Russians didn't hold the caucausus as long as I hoped - to trap the Iraqi/Iranian Axis forces. I was also trying to line up Russian paras to cut off his expeditionary forces but didnt manage it.

In the early stages the ultrafast fall of France made me fear for Sealion so UK wasn't as proactive as it should have been - though it did have a very good army.

So congratulations to Hellraiser - he played great. Good luck with Terif!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the game Colin and GG.

A little summary:

1. Super fast France - this shouldn't have happened in the first place smile.gif Just place the french troops around Paris and it rarely happens.

2. You should have taken Norway in turn 4 (standard move for the Allies) - remember this and do it next time you play Allies - it is a place from where , later, you can get perhaps Sweden and open a closer theatre to Axis' vital cities. If Axis wants it back - at least you make them amphib units and waste time there.

3. Be a little more aggressive with the western allies - Russia alone is no match for Axis especially with a perfect early and mid game like I had.

4. If you time your western front opening when Axis has a respiro in east (i.e. after a local victory like I had at Stalingrad) be sure your Wallies will be wiped out immediately. With mud and winter approaching in Russia it was clear that no major actions were to be seen until spring 43. You decided to land in Egypt exactly when Axis could afford to dispatch considerable reinforcements in the area without any possibility of being threatened by Russia.

Try to force Axis to choose where to fight (and thus lose initiative on one front for sure).

5. Scrap this habit of attacking ports/cities with your navy - it is not worth it. Your strength points losses are very high and the replacement cost is immense, especially for some piss poor country like the UK smile.gif

6. In Russia you played conservatively and cautious - this was a very good approach because Axis was very strong after pursuing the aggro strategy of collecting a lot of minors previously.

But you were a little bit trigger happy (like I am when playing Yoda :D ) and launched local counters - near Stalingrad - which had for every german unit killed 2-3 red units killed in return. If you decide to leave your forts, do it en masse and cripple Axis in the place of your attack.

Ref Uboats - indeed they were coming out of the queue starting with dec 42...all of them :D

"....Hellraser defeats the Russians" - well this is not necessary...I only needed London after the capture of Stalingrad for a major victory. So most likely, the spring of 43 would have seen 9 Axis AFs near Paris and 2 paras ready to jump ;)

Your move on Egypt was not ok for my plans - Cairo is a victory objective smile.gif

I am not trying to sound smart here or something, just trying to point out, what in my opinion, are important things to do when playing Allies.

Perhaps we can switch sides and play again, we both can learn things from each other.

BTW, now I have to play Yoda? smile.gif

I can get in this some times. One feels that the battlefield is being dictated to them, rather than the reverse. Everything starts to go wrong. Your mind starts shooting off, "Damnit! Why did I do that?" That's when you start asking yourself, "WAIT NOW! What intelligent move can I make to stem the tide, what can do with what I've got that will move things a little bit in my favor!" As the Allies, timing and patience are of the utmost as well as with the Axis. If the Allies do not commit and decide to the right battles and the right places, "game over."

This is only a case of that nothing else, Good Battle Warriors

Hellraiser - advice appreciated. A few return comments:

1. Super fast France - this shouldn't have happened in the first place. [Colin - Agreed]

2. You should have taken Norway in turn 4 (standard move for the Allies) [i often do - here I wanted to try another strategy but we saw the result!]

3. Be a little more aggressive with the western allies - Russia alone is no match for Axis especially with a perfect early and mid game like I had. [Your navy made it hard. I almost went into Scandanavia, could see from long range carriers you had an army group waiting for Sweden, and wanted to attack when you Dowed Sweden, but didn't get timing right].

4. If you time your western front opening when Axis has a respiro in east (i.e. after a local victory like I had at Stalingrad) be sure your Wallies will be wiped out immediately. With mud and winter approaching in Russia it was clear that no major actions were to be seen until spring 43. You decided to land in Egypt exactly when Axis could afford to dispatch considerable reinforcements in the area without any possibility of being threatened by Russia.

Try to force Axis to choose where to fight (and thus lose initiative on one front for sure).

[Agreed, again it was hard to time things perfectly because I was sneaking huge forces past a naval battle. One reason I fought so hard was that I didn't want you having subs all over the place that could bump into my transports. I do agree about timing, as I said I hoped you would not be able to operate from Russia. I really think another mistake was use of too many transports, not enough amphibian craft and not having the four carriers to reduce entrenchment on Cairo. Once I saw how heavily defended Middle East was it was clear I'd lost].

5. Scrap this habit of attacking ports/cities with your navy - it is not worth it. Your strength points losses are very high and the replacement cost is immense, especially for some piss poor country like the UK [Most damage came from your bomber]

6. In Russia you played conservatively and cautious - this was a very good approach because Axis was very strong after pursuing the aggro strategy of collecting a lot of minors previously.

But you were a little bit trigger happy (like I am when playing Yoda [big Grin] ) and launched local counters - near Stalingrad - which had for every german unit killed 2-3 red units killed in return. If you decide to leave your forts, do it en masse and cripple Axis in the place of your attack [Agreed. I was reasonably happy with Russia in the sense it had good technology and MPP but it was the West that failed. I tried to keep counters minimal].

"....Hellraser defeats the Russians" - well this is not necessary...I only needed London after the capture of Stalingrad for a major victory. So most likely, the spring of 43 would have seen 9 Axis AFs near Paris and 2 paras ready to jump [Wink]

Your move on Egypt was not ok for my plans - Cairo is a victory objective [Decent plan but too late]

I am not trying to sound smart here or something, just trying to point out, what in my opinion, are important things to do when playing Allies.

[Advice appreciated]

Perhaps we can switch sides and play again, we both can learn things from each other.

[indeed - I'm pretty sure I can't play as perfect an Axis game though but look forwards to another game, maybe in WaW. Learnt a lot from this game].