NEED Help trying to run Clash of Steel

Hello Konigs...SORRY it didn't install...sometimes that is a problem with Older Games, ... i likewise had trouble installing it as-well!.

I Double-Clicked on the 'INSTALL' Icon after Uzipping the Downloaded File with WinZip!.

What i then got was this!...

-------------------------------------------------

C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\Desktop\UNZIP\INSTALL.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

-------------------------------------------------

My suggestion is to look for a Web-Site that has a WinXP fix for this DOS 16-bit game in order to make it install or work!.

Sometimes one can find a re-constituted download that will work in WinXP!...which is what i am using!.

Yes Agent Smith, you've got the right idea!.

Look at this Web-Site where other's have encountered the same problem!.

http://gamebird.dk/games/community2.php?gid=413

"download a dos-emulator like DOSBox0.60

and try it" ...DOSBox0.63 in this case...Updated Version

"I'm able to run COS on XP, but it's soundless but runs perfectly. It was a puzzle to find out but you can try it, I've downloaded the software, unpacked it to C, then in the unpacked software is still the zip file of the original download, I open that, double click COS2.exe, it asks if I want to unzip and overwrite, select yes, and now in the (again) unpacked zip, you double click COS2 again and it runs, any other way doesn't work for me and totally screws up my PC (weird date settings, i.e. 2865 instead of 2004. But now it runs without sound, do print out the copy protection words you sometimes have to fill in.

By the way, I got the software from another place."

"Clash of Steel - Copy protection words

Page 3, Word 5 - gray

p4, w4 - used

p5, w10 - rules

p6, w6 - more

p9, w3 - wish

p10, w3 -conquered

p13, w4 - modified

p16, w4 - enemy

p53, w3 - pointer

p17, w5 - reserve

p22, w5 - favor

p27, w5 - located

p34, w3 - carrier

p35, w5 - available

p41, w3 - purchaseable

p42, w3 - option

p49, w3 - needs "

Also check out this Web-Site for DOS Emulators...

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/download.php?main=1&begaming_website_session=19a855fafab6c7e6f28aa74cf6b56fb3

In particular goto the heading 'DOSBox',...then...'Windows version 0.63 Win32 installer' . Download that and give it a try...there's others to pick from as well!.

[ February 05, 2006, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: Retributar ]

I myself Downloaded DOSBox0.63 and was able to use it... .

I was able to access my COS unzipped files emplaced in my newly mounted 'dosprog' file on my 'C' drive, but was not able to install COS using DOSBox0.63 or directly clickin on INSTALL EXE without DOSBox0.63

In either case this COS game will not install for me!.

------------------------------------------------

-After downloading and installing DOSBox0.63 i dblclkd on the dosbox.exe ICON and got...

STEPS I DID:

- Z:>

- Z:>mount c c:\dosprog press 'ENTER'

- Z:> then added in C: & pressed 'ENTER'

- Z:\>C: "Press ENTER"

- C:\>dir type in 'dir' & press 'ENTER'

- Previously i did make a new folder labeled 'COS' and put all my UnZipped INSTALLATION files from the COS Zip into it and then moved it to 'dosprog'[a DOSBox0.63 Mounted Folder for Dos Programs located in my main 'C' directory]

- C:\>

- C:\>DIR COS [Directory COS]

-Now i see all of my UnZipped files from the Dowloaded COS Zip-Files

- Typed in 'INSTALL' and then pressed 'ENTER'

- C:\>INSTALL Press 'ENTER' > got 'Illegal Command: INSTALL'

- C:\> INSTALL EXE & INSTALL.EXE also resulted in 'Illegal Commands'???.

So for now...im at the end-of-my-rope!.

[ February 05, 2006, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: Retributar ]

right click on the intall.exe and in properties select the memory tab and set to AUTO EMS & XMS, in fact they should all be AUTO.

double click install.exe (it should install all files to \FUTURE)

run dosbox and type the following;

mount c c:\future [ENTER]

c: [ENTER]

future [ENTER]

if it doesn't work or any questions then email/post here. btw, the game is not as good as I remembered it smile.gif

Thanks Salapaho, works well, One last question. When I am done, how do I get out of the DOSBOX?

Retributar, try what Salapaho has posted, it worked first shot. Thanks again for everone's help. Just looking for something to do while waiting for SC2. Always wanted to try COS and never could figure it out.