Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

To make a landing work, you gotta seize a city but taking a city is very hard since you have to spend like a whole turn right next to your target allowing the opponent to operate you to hell blocking eligible beaches

Now the 2-turn landing system works to prevent sealion from being a walk in the park for axis and simulate interdiction by the royal navy. But could it be made that the allies can land the same turn they reach the shore? Or pershaps allowing me to land on a ennemy unit (outside a city) in a effort to drive him off the beaches? (and pershaps punish him from operating planes just to block my landing grrrrrrrr!)

[ February 19, 2005, 06:20 AM: Message edited by: Korut Zelva ]

There's already been some discussion about the changes made for SC2 regarding transports. Here's a summary:

New amphibious transports are used for invasions. Units embark on one turn, but cannot move. On the next turn, they can both move AND unload on a coastal tile. Or they can move/wait at sea for landings on later turns but unit readiness will decrease.

Anyway, if the embarkations are made out of spotting range, then invasions CAN achieve some surprise. Even if you see an invasion coming, you won't necessarily be able to react and cover all possible landing sites. This should be a big improvement over the current system.

Regular cheaper transports will still be available for moving units from port to port only.

I agree that you should be able to actually fight the amphibious invasions. As a matter of fact I suggested that a long time ago on the SC1 forums. Of course it would require some kind of unit retreat rules for it to work properly, ie. the beach defender would retreat to a nearest empty hex..er..tile if it suffered X damage, and thus open the beach for the invaders. If the landing failed however, the invading unit would be destroyed or withdrawn back to the boats with horrendous casualties (the latter if the beach defender was weakened enough in the attack).

One more thing:

Being able to fight in amphibious invasions would be especially important in cases like Malta, Gibraltar or Crete, where the enemy could otherwise easily block you even with air units. Also in the case of Malta or Gibraltar where there is no escape (for ground units, planes could withdraw if there was friendly territory within their range) the defenders and invaders should fight to the death. That way invading even a one tile isle such as Malta would be possible, but extremely risque.

I think it would be a huge increase of realistic gameplay if this feature would be included. I dont think if this would be hard to implement for the developers but it surely would help the game. And we wouldnt have the case anymore that i can defend the coast of France with 2 Airfleets and 8 Corps with a 1 Point Unit Strenght (After Enemy Bombardment). Thats just stupid....

Just giving you guys a hard time smile.gif

At the moment, and although these are all great ideas, it's not likely to change for now. Perhaps after release with additional enhancements (based on feedback such as this) but unfortunately there is still too much to focus on without worrying about going back and changing *decently* functional items.