Help with operation Barbarosa!

AH darn...good all SC1. Damn do I miss the days or what...

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,

Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit

Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,

Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

--- O Khayam

Hey, Life,

She just ain't fair ; sit

Beside me - here,

And relieve your weary

Writing-wrist, and compare

The following pair:

One is pummeled with a cudgel,

Often, woe, often - and for no

Apparent reason; an other

Fares better - and some would insist!

It's surely due to wile & grit,

A sturdy, brute, dilligence, and,

That brawn, or wit, you are born with.

But, it's

Mostly - just... being - a lucky duck!

Nothing to do about that,

Except - simply, exist - under

The mid-day sun, enhuddled

In nocturnal shade and - yes! Refresh!

In a gifted drifting of mist.

--- the newly bloomed Daffodil!

on the hill-side in my back-yard

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by tunatamaker:

What?! I am sorry, i dont see how that helps me!

Skip it then.

Wait for something you like better! :cool:

BTW, WRT the topic at hand,

I would do this:

Learn things MOSTLY for yourself.

Trial and error.

Play and play and play.

That way,

You are your OWN man,

Not somebody else's creation. smile.gif

tunatamaker. One thing to think about. If your teacher is using the editor to change the scenario, there's a good chance that he'll have seen this thread.

Given that, if he's anything like the teachers that I had, he'll just flex the scenario in favour of the other side if he thinks you're "cheating" by getting someone else to tell you exactly what to do.

General advice on the basis of what you've posted:

a) His scenario looks like it'll have a lot of weak (i.e. strength 5) Soviet units, whereas you'll have fewer, full strength units. So make sure you focus on killing units in the first few turns. Or cutting them off so they can't operate away and you can kill them next go, although given the depth of his defence lines that's probably too difficult to be worth doing - depends how many paratroops he gives you. Order of importance of targets are something like air, tanks, armies, corps (although the important thing is just to kill units).

B) I'll go back to some early advice that I gave and really advise against attacking Leningrad in force. It's too tough a target for the inexperienced. Just send a corps up there to cut it off and make sure he stays put. Use a Finnish corps to link Finland to the rest of your territory by skirting the eastern side of the lake.

Best advice, in the absence of detailed instructions, is to do just what rambo says smile.gif .

Penetrate fast, concentrate on killing his units (most inexperienced players won't retreat far enough back fast enough, so you will be able to hit them before they're reinforced and high readiness).

Take any cities on the way.

Personally, as a strategic aim I'd go for Stalingrad and Grozny against inexperienced players. Then again, I've never played a Barby scenario smile.gif .

[ March 21, 2007, 02:21 PM: Message edited by: Bromley ]

Jus a point of history - winter did not defeat Napoleon - his retreat from Moscow started before the freezing temperatures, nd the effect of the winter was to turn the retreat into a rout/massacre.

Of course the winter also killed thousands of Russian soldiers - the Russian answer to a freezing winter is to get inside, seal up the house except for the chimney and lay in lots of food and firewood - not to go prancing around in it!

There are stories of peasants "happily" rugged up against the cold being forceably pulled from their houses and pushed into the nearest Russian infantry regiment to repalce soldiers who had frozen to death. such replacements probably didn't last long either :(

Yes if course the retreat which then induced the Russian Cavalry to do hit and run massacres...did kill appreciable numbers of Napoleons Army, but don't discount the direct effect that the Winter had on them either, many of Napoleons troops just simply froze to death!.

They were prepared for winter like the Germans were!.