A fun 'Enigma' re-creation...

So, awhile back I was playing a PBeM game as the allies and was slowly losing the '39 game as we advanced into, oh, I think it was '42-'43 or so.

As I was clicking through my save games to load my opponent's turn, I clicked on my previous turn (to be sent to him for his turn) and as I realized my error and I was about to click cancel, the thought of enigma came into my head and I typed it in as the password.

Now before I go any further let me state a few things upfront: First, I am not in the habit of 'cracking' my opponents passwords. I play my games upfront and DO NOT re-play turns as much as I painfully squirm in my seat over a tank unit that I pressed to far or an Eisenhower HQ transport that runs into a German sub in the voyage across the Atlantic. Second, the bottom line is that you can 'cheat' in PBeM a number of ways but after awhile you realize you are only cheating yourself.

So with my moral fiber defended I resume my story... it worked! Lol, I laugh even now. The password gained me access to the Axis turn. I laughed so hard I fell out of my chair. I ran around like a crazy man laughing so hard. I now had perfect intelligence of my opponents disposition, albeit, a turn behind.

My honor demanded that I surrender to my opponent (played I out I felt he would have won) but asked that we continue to play, and here is my minor guilt, I did not tell him I had 'cracked' his enigma password. I was really curious as to how and if I could leverage this intelligence breakthrough to turn the war around.

In the end we only played a few more turns (I think a patch came out), but it was a very exciting experience and it was a lot of fun to have day-old/one-turn-behind intelligence on your opponents disposition of forces.

Just thought I would mention. It was an interesting twist for me. The golden egg of intelligence was dropped in my lap on a wrong click and a whim. I wish we could have played it out. Might be a way to re-balance a game if needed in PBeM I guess (send opponent your password while not knowing his).

Anyhoo, just thought I would share the story. My opponent will remain anonymous but it was a crazy twist and ultimately was one of the funnest games I had played overall.

Enigma re-created on a grand scale. smile.gif

W0o+!

--AOM

Yes!... 'an interesting scenario' , im all for that concept of an 'Enigma' type intelligence system for 'Human to Human' game's. "GOOD-IDEA!".

Of course one would need to expend the resource's necessary to try to achieve that technological level,...to be able to see the enemy's disposition's,...even if a turn late!,...perhap's 2 or 3 turn's late for a less developed 'Enigma' intelligence technology!.

Playing against the 'AI', this would not be required, as it already has the ability to know which cities are occupied or not!. I know that to be true, it know's more than it should!.

I was talking...'1-Turn Behind', otherwise, yes if you get 'Instant-Real Time' Enigma, 'you win!'.

Also for a less developed Enigma System, it could reveal information that is 2 or 3 turn's old!,...which would still be an asset, but not be a 'Killer Asset'!.

[ September 08, 2006, 08:20 PM: Message edited by: Retributar ]

I was thinking FOW would be removed. But if, as Bromley says, just a unit here or there (but never a large number), I would agree it could be fun. As far as the old informantion, I think it would be better to have up to date info, but VERY limited. Maybe one unit for each level?

A thought just occurred to me.

When Enigma is working, the Enigma De-Cloaked Units should show an Identifying National Colour as well as just a Purple Outlined Image or something, so that it doesn't look like actual spotted unit's.

This would help in that one could quickly, easily identify 'Enigma' revealed unit's!.

Perhaps, spotting one randomly selected enemy unit per Intel Tech level would provide some information - with a chance of this information being false based on the enemy Intel level.

Example 1:

Intel Level 2 - Each turn you see 2 randomly selected enemy units,

If the enemy has has Intel Level 3 their is a 45% (Intel Level x 15%) that each spotted unit is a phantom ghost unit on a randomly selected enemy controlled tile or empty water tile.

Idea 2:

Intel 0 = 0 Units Spotted

Intel 1 = 1 Randomly Selected Enemy Unit Spotted

Intel 2 = 2 Randomly Selected Enemy Units Spotted

Intel 3 = 3 Randomly Selected Enemy Units Spotted

Enemy Intel 0 = 10% False Report

Enemy Intel 1 = 25% False Report

Enemy Intel 2 = 40% False Report

Enemy Intel 3 = 55% False Report

Enemy Intel 4 = 70% False Report

Enemy Intel 5 = 85% False Report

Thus:

USA has Intel Level 2

Germany Has Intel Level 3

Italy has Intel Level 0

USA will spot 2 enemy units, if one of these is a Germany unit it has a 55% to be false. If USA spots an Italian unit this spotting has a 10% to be false.

[ September 10, 2006, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]