Artillery and anti-aircraft units are ranged pieces, so I can deliver fire on units without them avoiding it. But how do you do it with anti-tank pieces. Enemy tanks won't fight them and they are vulnerable to other units. I can't deliver a shot to a tank that I am not next to and enemy tanks won't get next to them. What am I missing?

If used passively they will just be taken out by enemy infantry and aircraft. Either put them on a place that he's aiming for with his tanks, or use them in the counter-attack role.

They are virtually suicide weapons, but they can be pretty effective for counter attacks against weakened tanks, and as they are less than half the price of a Panzer it can be well worth it!

As Bill says, they make ideal tank busters for when an opponent commits an armoured unit to an attack. I commonly place them a few tiles behind the enemy's objective (typically in Russia) then, once his tanks have cut off the retreat of their intended target I counter attack. The anti-tank unit goes in straight after the artillery/tactical bombers have softened up the armour. If they don't finish the job then the tank will be severely damaged and can be mopped up by even the lowliest conscripts.