well my old laptop died about 3 weeks ago forcing me to use an old desktop which considering it's age works pretty good. I'm going out to get a new laptop in about a month and I was just wondering is it worth the money to buy the 1920x1200 res (thinking about getting it on the inspirion 1720) think it would improve strategic command WAW and PDE?

My 'Laptop' recently died as well,...and too-late have i come to find out that it was my "1-Gigabyte RAM-MEMORY" that had failed me and was then therefore simulating a 'Hard-Drive-Failure-Symptom' & as well...the all too frequent...'Blue-screen-Of Death!'...that went along with it!.

scottsmm,

The criticism I've heard with some of the bigger monitors is that they are not all scaled the same. For example, I am using a 24" Dell Monitor that appears to be the sweet spot for larger monitors, or so it was when I did my research a year ago, in that text will look about the same on the 24" model as it does on a 20" model when running max resolution on both. 1920x1200 for the 24" and 1280x1024 for the 20" etc.

From what I had read, the 30" model is not proportionally larger in its dimensions to the 24" when running at its max resolution of 2560x1600. Essentially at max resolution for the 30" model running at 2560x1600 text would appear a little smaller than it would on a 24" running at its max resolution of 1920x1200.

Same goes for the 22" when you run at 1920x1200 in that the text will also look a bit smaller than in the 24".

There is a careful balance for sure as these models all increase in cost the higher you go in size but it all depends on which one suits you best. Your best bet, and if you have the opportunity to do so, take a look the 20", 20.1" 22", 24", 30" models etc (whichever ones fit your budget) in store running at max resolution and then search online for the best deal for the one you liked the most.

After all, if you find one with a higher resolution like 1920x1200 that looks good it will definitely make the game that much more enjoyable as MajorRH has mentioned.

Thanks guys. I've changed my mind after looking through of what people have said about getting the inspirion 1720 and will probably (because of it's reputation of great gaming)get the XPS M1530 with a 1920X1200 res since I don't want to go overboard and get something with a QXGA res (is what I think they call it) It's something like what you said 2560X1600. Since I'll need the money left over to rent an apartment with. Thanks though and by chance does anyone have the dell XPS M1530 with the 1920X1200 res since for the 15.4 screen 1920X1200 pixels seems a lot to have on that monitor.