Operating units - Huberts comments - What do you think?

From Hubert in another thread:

Another operation rule I am toying with is to only allow units to operate that are within or adjacent a city, i.e. to simulate movement only from the railheads sort of thing and not from just anywhere in the field. This would be in conjunction to the existing minimum supply rule that also applies to operating units.

I like this idea. For some units, this would mean taking two turns to operate. First move to a city or next to one(i.e. moving to get on the train) then operating the next turn(actually taking the train).

I like this one; however, it might hurt the Russians in defending Russia.

Perhaps have it only affect units in undeveloped areas of the Map - Conquered areas of Russia, Iraq, Turkey, Syria, North Africa, Sweden, Norway as in France and the Rest of Europe rail roads were very common.

I was also thinking of having railroad hexes in Russia that link Russian cities with each other, according to maps of the period, and Warsaw and Danzig (and an old Avalon hill game: Russian Campaign). If a enemy unit occupies a rail hex then the unit can't use that route to operate units. Only a unit on a rail hex or city hex can operate. Strategic bombers could disrupt these rail routes in Russia.

[ April 17, 2004, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]

From the other post:

It was obvious that the unlimited operations in SC gave a great advantage to axis ... My only concern is that with all these new ideas it could tweak the game towards the allies
That's a valid concern, but isn't most ALL of the current bidding in the Allies favor?? These changes are likely to restore some balance, not tilt things too far to the Allies advantage.

Those "unlimited" op moves might be further limited in SC2 with optional country specific limits, maybe hard and soft limits. This is something the new infrastructure tech could increase.

it might hurt the Russians
Maybe. But historically they didn't shift forces around like you can in SC1. So maybe 1941 Barbarossa could play out a bit more accurately now?

We'll have to wait and see. With force pool limits and all of the other changes, a lot of little things are going to play out differently. For the Russian front, one thing I recall about the old AH Third Reich game was how darn long it took to get replacements to the front when the Germans were out near Stalingrad. With force pool limits stretched to the max and unable to SR new units forward fast enough, this created a fragile situation that is difficult to recreate in SC1. So we need to consider the bigger picture wrt all of these changes. ;)

Those "unlimited" op moves might be further limited in SC2 with optional country specific limits, maybe hard and soft limits. This is something the new infrastructure tech could increase.
Ah, a strong incentive for the Axis to invest in infrastructure. :eek:

My only concern is that with all these new ideas it could tweak the game towards the allies
it might hurt the Russians
I figure those would balance each other out. smile.gif

[ April 18, 2004, 09:14 AM: Message edited by: Exel ]

My original post included more things than just the operational new rule (I know this operational rule is a disadvantage for russia too):

"It was obvious that the unlimited operations in SC gave a great advantage to axis, making fast transfers from russia to an undefended france, and that it should to be changed, so im glad about it.

The strategic bombing new feature is a good idea too, an a big advantage for the allies.

And what to say about build time of units, i always supported the idea of a queue production (much more realistic). This and the units limits are another disavantage for axis.

My only concern is that with all these new ideas it could tweak the game towards the allies, but i think its a good way to fix some of the problems SC had."

So, i am aware the SC system is wrong, thats why we have been bidding to play competitive games, and im glad about the new changes. What i say is watch out cos maybe wiht pool of units, strategic bombing working and operational new rules we might need to make more biddings but this time favouring the axis!. :confused: