Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Strategic Command 2: Beginners Salvation

Welcome all you beginners, I am one also. The Masters are seperating themselves now from you and your lack of dedication is costing you the value of truly enjoying this game. I'm going to help you but I want something from you in return, to listen smile.gif otherwise don't waste your time reading any further. This is a posting for Beginners that want to become intermediate within a few matches. This will take about 10 matches unless you are a quick learner.

Instead of training a bunch of kids how to play Axis, I'm going to give Allied tips instead, so people don't hog the side which is already favored, this way you'll play better all around and this is my weak side as well! I have lost about 3 or 4, and won about 3 or 4 Allied matches.

I have learned that they're very difficult to win with and it will present a challenge for you and make you a better SC player.

1. Defense of France... best staple trick is, prevent any Maginot breakthrough, by keeping your French units there as entrenched as possible with as much strength If you must and an Axis player is rotating Armies and corps for attacks against it, plant your Armor there... Though if you do not have to move back your armor to Paris. You want to entrench your armor there to 6, and after the frontline is busted, retreat back to use the Royal Navy and French Navy to bombard and hammer any Axis that attempt a naval approach to Paris. With the UK Bomber and Fighter, along with the FAF you should be able to inflict a couple deaths on the Wermacht and a lot of pain if he attempts a frontal assualt on Paris before filtering off the units you are going to plant around it. Make certian after the frontline is busted, that's when Benelux falls and he begins killing your units, that you retreat to cover the hexes around Paris, putting the HQ and Air out of distance of an easy kill. Some transport the French Units from N.Africa and Syria to support the campaign, but you have to garrison those cities then or Italian Readiness rises. I don't bother, France will Fall...

In the end, it's best to force your opponent to kill off all your French Units to get to the entrenched Tank, that way he collects less plunder and you inflict the most damage... best trade off, you will lose Paris anyways, I have held it in one game so far.

Tip... run hotseat and attempt the best way to defend France, run it a few dozen times if you must, get a feel for hunting the sub and Kriegsmarine. Always best to put the French forward, so they take the initial hits and hold the British fleet back for other jobs.

2. North African Campaign. Some have gone for an all out British Control of North Africa, do not attempt this, it can be countered.. though if you want a lesson in how to perform it play a 'good player'... My belief is that you hold North Africa as long as possible, though do not let your escape get cut off, 2 ships and the only port leading to the Suez Loop will cut you off. I have lost many units this way. You can stay and at supply level 5 suicide the Germans and Italians, that way you can rebuild these units in England. Though if he is smart and uses a Bomber or the Italian Navy with Amphibious assualt on the Suez he'll cut you off and take your supply, killing all units in the MiddleEast and Egypt. That'll be a costly fight. Not worth the risk, I say best to plan to leave the region quickly, hold your HQ, Tank and Army close to Departure Port if any real Axis threat comes into Egypt. Otherwise, wait it out.

tip: I have found when Egypt Surrenders your Lose your HQ Minor and it's units, I'd just fight to the death with those! I may be wrong if you transport them, though I've not attempted this, so Hotseat for you again my friends ;)

3. The UK under threat, if you retreated from Paris.. Make sure to entrench a few units and upgrade the AntiAir. Especially if the Axis build Bombers or get Longe Range. He can knock out Liverpool and all your foreign imports right then and there. If Axis subs attempt to raid, cover the N.Sea with rotating Cruisers.. he may try to sneak through route via Scapa Flow, the southern Route is too treacherous.. usually unless you've your fleet scattered about the World.

Tips: Cruisers kill subs well, so do Carrier Strikes. Though both Battleships and Carriers are SubFodder. Keep Units on Ports or around adjacent to them or to Land in Bad Weather, also for Supply . Morale and Readiness falls fast for Naval units, you want them at max.

Tip #2: When Axis have the iniative, after taking a Minor, sometimes best to retreat, their Morale will be skyhigh, and multiple Minors means a deadly Axis... Wait a few turns, it'll go back down, then strike him out...

4. Diplomacy, watch it, ask yourself if you want him bringing Spain in, or other Minors in.. Save up some British cash, as there the only Power that can reverse an early Diplomatic Move by the Axis. Combined Italy and Germany will usually attempt to bring in Spain, UK hitting it early with 5 chits can stop it usually... Though the USA will recieve a Pacific Transfer a few nice boats if they achieve this... Not a bad trade off, but Gibraltar will fall and North African Domination is impossible with this move as you end up with a sort of Malta Effect except on the Brits...

Tip: Do no invade Minors as the Allies early unless you've a big agenda and strategy. Best to Push the USSR and USA in, any way you can, force the Axis to invade as many minors as possible.

5. Tech Tips: USA I say Industrial all the way, she has a modifier and gains the most... production and IW lastly... USSR, some in those areas but Make certian to stay on par with German IW, Tank, AntiTank weapons.. Or you'll lose the game... The more Ready these Majors are the more income they have.

6. The Invasion of USSR, this isn't going to be very detailed.. It's a tough thing to see your Country fall, USSR will fall fast to a good Axis, and won't at all to a bad one. Though it's alright, the USSR needs to save itself if the Axis is strong on the ground in the East, she needs to hide and hit and run, her rivers, mountains, marshes, and forests are perfect. There are natural defense boundaries she can use. Use them! Employ it all.. By around Winter '42 you will recieve your Siberians, especially as the Germans penetrate her, then you can launch a counteroffensive, crush the Axis where you can, the First Winter knocks down supply for the Germans and it's an opportune time, do not attempt to stop the Germans earlier even if they're out of place... Unless you know for certian they are weak.

Western Allies, build up their forces and prepare to invade Europe, her only threat is the Italian Navy with GunLaying Radar, so match it! With the Germans and good Sub Tech, I have managed to kill the entire Western Navy... Use your Air to knock down Cities and take France, Don't bother with too many Minors unless the Axis do... Then try to take your share along with them, gauge it... keep up IW, keep up GLR, maybe AntiSubWarfare if neccessary. Good air helps, but stay out of combat early and focus on disrupting the Axis whenever they have nothing there.. Use your Navy if they do not perform Sea Lion to hurt them everywhere... AND DO PREPARE FOR IMMINENT SEA LION!!! That or give up England for N.Africa.. That is a gamebreaker smile.gif Good luck

Now this is a very simple and basic Guide to help some beginners with Allied Strategy, add to it friends..and play a lot of matches, ask all the questions you want all will be answered and please study. if I can beat you with Allies it shows you haven't done your homework I'm not a very good study myself tongue.gif just watch and learn... Play the Best, John J. Rambo, Terif, Iron Ranger, HellRaiser, Avatar, etc... Get on PanzerLiga... Look up all those Germans, they are very good players very competent, play PBEM even if you don't like to, it'll better your game. Play the best do not give up and listen and ask them questions and you'll get good. I'm always open to newbs as I'm still a mediocre player myself. I just have finished 10-15 games so far

Nice tips ! I like people that posts things like this, you can always learn something.

For the french defence : I like to put corps on the Maginot if I can : if an army is at entrench 0 anyway, putting a corps in it's place will reduce the cost of strengthening it AND it will replace a unit with a low moral with one with high moral. Against the AI, I sometimes move ALL my units to France, the UK's from Egypt, the Candain, the UK's from the mainland... I can hold France against the AI on the max difficulty setting that way.

That said, you can not prevent a dedicated player to break trough the Maginot : he can hit it with 3 AF's, 3 armies in the front row AND three armies/corps/panzer rotating in : in one turn or the other, that will kill any unit there.

Great! Just what we need, players to add to suggestions for newer players to learn from.

Taojah, I imagine that if a dedicated Axis player wants through he'll get what he wants.. With IW the French do not stand a chance... However I have noticed that placing a BEF unit there with AntiTank and IW may be wise early... Help delay it , I found that the player who opposed me bypassed it at that point and went for Benelux... Have you tried this by chance?

BTW: Iron Ranger, I wasn't aware, as when Egypt-Jordan fell I lost the HQ and units they just disappeared. So well, I am learning too. Thankyou...

After we're done with some good Allied strategies perhaps we can start up some Axis ones.

Originally posted by TaoJah:

Nice tips ! I like people that posts things like this, you can always learn something.

For the french defence : I like to put corps on the Maginot if I can : if an army is at entrench 0 anyway, putting a corps in it's place will reduce the cost of strengthening it AND it will replace a unit with a low moral with one with high moral. Against the AI, I sometimes move ALL my units to France, the UK's from Egypt, the Candain, the UK's from the mainland... I can hold France against the AI on the max difficulty setting that way.

That said, you can not prevent a dedicated player to break trough the Maginot : he can hit it with 3 AF's, 3 armies in the front row AND three armies/corps/panzer rotating in : in one turn or the other, that will kill any unit there.

In the end, it's best to force your opponent to kill off all your French Units to get to the entrenched Tank, that way he collects less plunder and you inflict the most damage... best trade off, you will lose Paris anyways, I have held it in one game so far.
This has changed in V1.02 I do believe. Now plunder is not based on the number of surviving units, so as Axis I attack every Frenchy Frog that is on the map. Remember, every extra casualty you cause early to the Germany may mean him not buying that extra aircraft that turn, maybe delaying it for the assault on Russia.

Thanks for all inputs, I am new and ready to play. I would liek to play you Lima, as I am Panzerliga also. I like the mirror mode, they give extra points for winner of match, that way everyone has a reason to play both ways. I am currently involved in two long battles on PBEM with Cerabral-Warrior, and 2 Pbem/ TCP ip battles with Bio-wizard. Again , I am glad to see you try to include all, thanks. I actually had never played allies for a whole game against AI and find it fun to play them. :D Of course there is alot to be said for the early smashing the Axis put on everybody too. :D:D

Originally posted by Scook:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />In the end, it's best to force your opponent to kill off all your French Units to get to the entrenched Tank, that way he collects less plunder and you inflict the most damage... best trade off, you will lose Paris anyways, I have held it in one game so far.

This has changed in V1.02 I do believe. Now plunder is not based on the number of surviving units, so as Axis I attack every Frenchy Frog that is on the map. Remember, every extra casualty you cause early to the Germany may mean him not buying that extra aircraft that turn, maybe delaying it for the assault on Russia. </font>

They toned down the plunder, it's in the textfiles, now I am not 110%... as between patch 1.1 and 1.2 I may have lost myself.. Though I believe now you gain significantly less from plunder than before, as it was an exploit to suicide yourself as a Minor against a Major... Still worthwhile to suicide yourself unless you can hold on for valuable time...

I'm up for a match, Panzerliga or PBEM league or Both! smile.gifVangelofcarnageV@aol.com I await turns

Liam on PBEM League, HerrLiam on PanzerLiga... and I'm half Limey Half American, I suppose I'm a Sprite :D