WaW Tourney (Game3) Canuk v. K Man

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote from the movie "PATTON"...

"I don't want to hear about someone wanting to die for his country!,...make the other poor dumb bastard die for his!".

Make heavy use of your 'Artillery' to decimate an onrushing attacking enemy,...so that his attack is so thereby reduced,...and that his remaining state is so weakened,...that his annihilation is assured on your next-turn!.

As 'Napoleone' once said!,...something like this!...

"ARTILLERIE is the GOD of the BATTLEFIELD!".

Yes, allied air could be better, but had to balance with land forces for a better attack/defense.

Aug 1944

Western front: Forces destroy a German corp and then pull back from range of artillery near the mountains in Vichy. The Finland corp @ Copenhagen continues to be bombarded. (Strength is now down to 5.)

Eastern front: Artillery begins the assault on Smolensk. Another Germany army northwest of the city is damaged with a Tactical strike. A corp probing towards Archangel, finds the answer to his question. The area is being defended with multiple units...

Copenhagen is liberated from the Axis aggression in the west. Reinforcements and bombings are the order of the day.

In the east, Smolensk falls as Russian troops move in. The Russian corp near Archangel is destroyed by the Germans. The Germans have a multi-force surrounding the city up there.

Summer is coming to an end...

Winter 1944/1945

In the east: The Russians have been slowed by the weather. Lenigrad has been reclaimed for the allies. Artillery continues to bombard the minor Army (Romanian?) at Kiev. German troops have moved down from Archangel, close to the city of Volga (if I have the correct name.) We have some Russian Corps dug in for defense. Ships are bombarding citys and units in the Baltic sea.

In the west: Again weather has slowed the advance. Allies are in the mountains of Vichy, and the artillery is grinding down the defenders left in the area. One of the German artillery was destroyed on one of the turns the weather cleared.

Spring & Summer 1945

We are up to July 1945. In the east, all of Russia's cities have been liberated. Forces took out 3 of the corps that moved down from Archangel area. The tank and HQ were able to escape to Finland. Troops have taken Konigsberg, and are poised for the attack on Poland. Poland has a long line of fortifications running near Warsaw. In southern Russia, more troops have moved into Romania, and taken the Ploesti oil fields.

In the west, Vichy France, the low countries and the mines of France have all been liberated. Allied forces are ready to enter Germany and Italy for the final push.

Algeria and Tunisia have also been brought back to the allied side, with most axis troops on the main land.

Yes, I thought the game was pretty even upto 43 as well. It could have gone either way. The summer of 43 was quite the battle back and forth (lot of fun.) One thing I'm curious about Canuck, is when the battles finally petered out in 43, what did you have left on the eastern front? All I know, is I was spent. The Russian units left, were mostly AA & artillery. I had a few armies & corps, but I was close to breaking in the fortifications.

I think the big difference for me in this game, was the Tech research for Russia. I've had so many bad luck tech games for Russia (in old SC2) its not funny (no hits for 2 straight years maxed out.) I kept saying that one of these days, I'm going to have the opposite, and get alot of hits. Well this was the game. I had more hits then I knew what to do with. I even got to the point where I thought I might have spent too much money on upgrading, and not enough on the quantity of units...My tech research with UK/US was slow at the beginning, but luckily it picked up for the US in 43. (Part of the reason I had to delay my attack in the summmer of 43 on the western front.)

Great game!