Does it make sense to get Sweden in the boat as Axis?

One question to the more sophisticated players in this forum... I have no opinion, because I tried it in various games and I`m still not quite sure on how to handle it.

Given the following situation:

- Timeframe around 41 or 42

- Axis is engaged in Russia and is advancing towards Leningrad

- Finnland is in the war

- Leningrad can be either taken quickly or a direct contact to Finnland can be established east of the Ladoga sea, so that ressources in Finnland go up 100% efficiency

Does it make sense to take Sweden via Diplomacy, i.e. invest all 5 Chits there unless you don`t need them elsewere? Usually I got them in sooner or later, sometimes needed to invest another 1-2 chits. You get 4 land units you can use to garrsion cities in Russia, or even take Norway and garrison it. Apart from that you get a cruiser and an Air fleet.. and it just costs you around 300 MPP for the Diplo... unless your opponent doesn`t counter.

Given the fact that you can get Sweden with this strategy: would you guys do that?

If you could get Sweden via diplomacy it would be worth it - but against a not too bad human player you won´t get it in V1.02 unless you are extremely lucky ;) .

Since Sweden starts with 20%, with Russia in the war Allies have no problem to counter it if they take a look at the diplo screen and feel its necessary. They can even wait for some Axis hits first and then block it.

So you can try it, but against the same opponent it will only work once - if at all smile.gif .

Your mpps via convoys will increase significantly and if you take Norway with Swedish units that convoy will increase as well.

Now Spain is much more attractive, units with HQ, 2 cruisers and you get to cut off the med by taking Gibraltar.

With that said, in the next version the Axis player might have to rethink about the all IN for Spain in diplomacy, heck the Allies might not even bother countering Spain ;) .

Is Spain a problem because the Axis get 10 chits to the UK's 5 for so long?

If so, why not allow the USA and USSR to invest in diplo prior to entry. They both have restricted MMPs, especially early on, but the US could choose to dump some into Spain rather than Industrial tech.

That might help avoid introducing more detailed events.

I'll be honest with you, I wouldn't bother with Spain period as Axis, unless it can be had easy. The combined expense for Italy and Germany is not good if the UK counters chances are it'll be a tough cookie!

Besides, Tech changes so quickly those Spanish Units are nothing but garrison units.. Later in the game, Spain is good to take, or MPPs if you can get it easy, not always possible. IW2 and IW3 units will smash through Spain and if the UK Spent money to lower it's readiness they threw away cash. I've had many do that, I just let them throw it away, better to have IW3 or Heavy Armor by barbarossa then to have Spain... Especially for Italy, who must counter the West on Land and invade Minors...

Germany has a hard time getting Sweden, however! What Terif didn't mention is if Allies start hogging Minors, diplomacy efforts with her could pay off. I'd go in Early as a warning and prepare to Send German reinforcements to prevent the Allies from gaining Scandanavia...Depending on your overall strategy of course. If you doubt your opponent will make a move or your move is a passive one, only interested in Keeping the Allies out of Norway and Sweden then forgetting it altogether is smart 20% is a longshot. I got up to around 55% all in with Italy and Germany over 2 years, I do not think my Ally was countering.

Naval Manuevers can also Trigger Swedish Readiness so look them up and find out what will pee off the Swedes so you can use it against your opponent. However if he's good, it's unlikely you'll get Sweden.

Minors are better hacked up, Germany has lots of Romanians, Hungarians, Bulgarians and Italians to garrison with.. Spain's only value is in Gibraltar if the Ally is good and you want to cut his supply

Played a game where I had both Spain and Sweden as Axis - felt both were useful. Spain can be triggered by Sealion (managed to take and hold Liverpool with a sneak attack for a few rounds).

In both cases the Spanish/Swedish Navy and air was useful - tech tends not to advance so fast here - and MPPs.

whilst its an obvious route, I hope the rush to IW3 isn't going to be as good in the next patch - it really limits the more interesting Axis strategies that made SC1 good; including the diplomacy of critical minors we are discussing.

Those Spanish minors if well placed can do very good garrison duties.

Spain is of superb value, you can block off the whole med which means all of the med does not need to be garrisoned. Spain with Portugal is 56mpps extra per turn.

Invading Spain can be quite difficult if you put more than one unit on each city, this way the Allies, even with high tech can't take it on the first turn and then you can operated German troops and smash them.