Challenging Battles? And resupply?

I've just gotten the retail version of Combat Mission, Beyond Overlord after having waited and played the demo so much.. And I've been playing, enjoying the scenarios. But.. I don't know. It seems.. Easy? So far, at least.

In 'A Bloody Mile' for instance, fighting through boccage.. I expected heavy amounts of wounded. And to at *least* lose one Sherman. This was not the case, as I lost not a single squad, nor did I lose a single tank. The only thing I lost was a poor bastard flame thrower.

I took two thirds of my objectives with numerous captured, including two guns, and an MG42 MHG. The only reason my advance stopped was the infantry supporting the tanks was out of ammo. While I could have kept advancing with mostly just tanks.. I found that in my current position, as a commander, I'd stop and wait for resupply. And so the battle ended with 5/6 turns left doing nothing.

Aswell as another map where I was stopping a Canadian reccee unit. I only lost 1 'shrek team that took out two armored cars. Withdrew from the town, in a run, across country and took scattered casualities.. The Canadians had to have a 2/3 to 1 advantange in number, yet the battle ended with them not even occupying the abandoned town.

They took about 80 casualities, 14 vehicles killed, 4 mortars and I believe one gun.. While I sustained 9 wounded, with 2 dead. None of which were gun or machine gun crews.. The only reason I pulled back the infantry was because they were out of ammo, virtually.

I can't help but wonder.. Anyone else wish there was a way to resupply? And can anyone suggest ways of making the battles more challenging? Or particularly tough scenarios? Thanks. -SF

The AI does not play well, and after you have learned the basics of the game, you will probably beat it each and every time. Try to play with a handicap, giving AI an increase in forces or morale. Or better, play against a human.

There is no way to resupply in the middle of a battle, but you do resupply between battles in an Operation.

Try to conserve ammo. Don't fire at long distances; it is a waste and is unlikely that you will kill anything. Keep a reserve during the battle, and when your vanguard runs out of ammo, bring in the fresh troops.

However, even if infantry has low ammo, they can still fire occasionally.

I'll have to keep that in mind, thanks. It would be nice if you could put a range restriction on infantry.. In both battles, though, they were firing at a max os 200, with tank support. The initial german counter attack caught me off guard on the Canadian scenario, luckily however, he hadn't stationed his troops in housing and hadn't any vetern troops. I really hadn't expected to meet resistance that close, but the troops did suprisingly well. Even the flame thrower sent a troop in a heavy house into a blind panic from a flame attack.

*grin* So... How can I find some decent human players to test my skill?

if you cant find opponents than you should look in the depot for battles

check out the ones with lot of reviews,several battles are well playable against AI

you can try my May1940 battle,playable from both sides or the Bourquebus ridge one,best played from the british side,and off course the day of the wasp battle

Henk

Ah, yes, I noticed this too smile.gif Unfortunetly they are also MG bait, hehe. Thanks for the advice. And I've already checked out Blitz, and the Proving Grounds, and will look at that other too. I've always been interested in war games.. Just haven't had many chances to play human opponents. And certainly not in anything like this fine game.

By the way. I was wondering, what are the chances of Combat Mission : Beyond Barbourosa ( I know I didn't spell that right) going retail? I have access to checks and all.. But waiting five weeks for a game? It'd be nice if they had faster shipping options. I'd pay, hell, 10 dollars extra for getting it in a week or so.

Originally posted by Shadowfox:

In 'A Bloody Mile' for instance, fighting through boccage.. I expected heavy amounts of wounded. And to at *least* lose one Sherman. This was not the case, as I lost not a single squad, nor did I lose a single tank. The only thing I lost was a poor bastard flame thrower.

The AI really isn't up to the task of conducting that defense. It really needs a human player to hold fire to the last moment

Ah, excellent smile.gif And then I'll just have to wait for the Africa special edition battle aswell, I'd love to give desert combat a go, should be very different from battling in the dampness of Europe and should be even more armor and mechanized centered then before. Thanks Klapton. Nah, didn't find an opponent. Found out he wanted to play CMBB.

Originally posted by Shadowfox:

Yeah, I know that aswell.. On the one battle, they were hidden. And on the other, can't hide while pressing in an attack. Thanks for the help, having rotten luck finding an opponent though. Is it hard?

Just to make sure, do visit the Blitz site. You should NOT have a PBEM partner problem after visiting that site.