Ability to retreat while under attack

I would like to see in the new game an option to stand and fight or a auto retreat when under attack.

Most armies, navies and air forces disengaged or withdrew before they are wiped out, why not in this new game so that you can have a bit more control on your own forces while the opponent has their turn.

A further option could be a preset percentage loss setting before it starts retreating due to the attacks.

Exceptions would be when surrounded, back against the sea.

As far as im concerned Top Cat, when supplies or morale is very-low...the forces in that predicament should be forced to retreat...and take the loss!.

However...it would be good for the computer to let you know that your unit is approaching that stage ... and give you the option of retreating before things get too desperate!...and you are forced to retreat!.

I believe we have been informed that units will retreat in SC2. The circumstances around that retreat have not been specified.

One thing you must remember is that since there is no stacking in SC2, retreating units may be subjected to unrealistic losses due to the availability of unoccupied tiles. ie. Since they won't be able to retreat they will suffer losses instead, as in SC1.

Perhaps they will be able to retreat to the nearest unoccupied tile, no matter what the distance, defined by a list of retreat priorities. Our Devs have not provided details as of late.

My preference would be something on the lines of the TOAW example. A right click on the unit displays the menu we are familiar with and an added category "Loss Tolerance", "Casualties" etc., with three choices, min., moderate, max. That selection would dictate the amount of strength loss(%)the unit would take before applying the retreat priorities.

Of course we could make this feature even more difficult for HC to code by providing for the readiness, supply and command link in an algorithm to further effect the degree of the loss based upon the selection before a retreat ensues.

Probably have to wait another month for the inclusion of this feature.

So!! You guys want to wait? tongue.gif

If there are any additional orders for land units perhaps;

"Hold at All Costs" order to recreate the orders given to Axis and Russian units by their all knowing leaders. This units would never withdraw and could be destroyed in place.

"Fighting Withdrawal" order so that units so ordered would withdraw at the first sign of combat. Even if they did not lose any strength points they would withdraw 1 tile at the first sign of combat.

Originally posted by top cat:

Most armies, navies and air forces disengaged or withdrew before they are wiped out, why not in this new game so that you can have a bit more control on your own forces while the opponent has their turn.

I don't see lost units as "wiped out". IMHO, they got bashed into a state where organization/manpower/moral etc dropped to a level where they lost a real military value on the strategic level, not meaning they can't be regrouped, reinforced, and sent back into combat. Unless they were encircled first, I guess smile.gif

To me, Retreats are critical for any game to help prevent a World War I style of combat with static lines... A well coordinated attack can help push open lines and enable the armor to slide between and force the lines apart... which is exactly what we need.

Of course, I think there should be a couple of global controls:

first: let the user have some basic control of the conditions of retreat. In an ideal world, I'd love to see 3 levels, normal losses before retreat, heavy losses before retreat, and no retreat.

Second, give the option of control by terrain type, Clear, Forest, rough/mountain, swamp, Cities, resource, Fortification.

Third, never retreat from the capital. (Unless the country will not fall with the loss of the capital).

Personally I think that a country shouldn't fall unless all the resources and cities are captured (or in a game like this, several conditions, all resources captured, or a certain percentage captured and the army has been destroyed)

but that's another topic for another day