Comments on AI invasion of Spain

Hyazinth von Strachwitz -

Okay, you might not want to hear it, but here are my reflections on the AI behaviour. Needless to say, 1.06 is a big step ahead as usual.. but there are certain things I still do not understand.. but lets do it one by one.

- the Allied Norway invasion script is great

- the American Portugal invasion script is good, but there should be a HQ attached in the first round

- when the American forces gather for the invasion of Spain from Lisbon to Madrid, they should make sure they capture Madrid in the first round.. otherwise german troops flood into spain and kill the AmerĂ­cans one by one.. esp. when the Americans advance without HQs and Air support. I killed 2 American Tanks and 3 Armies in the hills around Madrid which were on supply 0... makes it very expensive to buy them back... and it was far too easy.

Suggestion: One improvement that SC2 needs is the ability to script an invasion of a non-resource tile.

Example, then you could have the AI block the Axis from operating units to Spain by occupying the single tile wide corrider linking Spain and France.

Suggestion: Add plans for air unit scripts. This would allow the AI to concentrate air units on a particular front - for the Allies; either the UK or Spain or North Africa. For the Axis; Russia or Europe or North Africa.

[ March 08, 2007, 09:41 PM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]

I think there is a lot of work to be done.. and honestly I`m very grateful for every piece of work Hubert and his team is doing... there are very few games with so many patches and work after the publication.... so we all should say "thank you" for dedication Hubert and his is giving to this project.

Okay, one can say that less patches would be necessary if SC2 would have worked proper from the first moment on, but I think the improvement of this game is an ongoing process. Many people formulate their wishes and ideas, and I`m pretty sure that Hubert reads all of them carefully... some of them can be realized in patches, some cannot... and some of them will be visible in SC3..

PS: Hubert is a one man shop, and although we all wish for more features keep in mind that each new enhancement likely takes; by my estimate, 2 to 3 weeks for programming and testing and updating to make sure that it has no unintended effects on other AI scripts or general game play.