SC2 is using the classic turn-based system. For a game of strategic scale one could argue that such an abstraction is the best mix of ease (and flow) of play and realism if you ask me.

Martin

For a game of strategic scale one could argue that such an abstraction is the best mix of ease (and flow) of play and realism if you ask me.
The games Imperialism and Risk II demonstrated much the opposite, I think. smile.gif I'm still waiting for a grand strategic WEGO-style WWII game, preferably with an operational layer reminiscent of the Panzer General series..... :D

WEGO would make each turn take longer - I go, then I wait for my opponent, then I go, then I wait for my opponent, do this 60+ times per turn and it can make each turn really long.

If you had fewer units on the map then I could see it being feasible, otherwise you would need a timer that gave each player 5 to 10 seconds to make their move.

[ May 02, 2004, 02:29 AM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]

To play WEGO, each 'turn' would probably have to be divided into several 'phases', ala 3R (a phase for assigning air unit tasks, movement phase, combat phase, exploitation movement phase, exploitation combat phase, etc.). Not so much a problem if turns are long (only 4 a year in 3R!), but it might become a hassle with shorter turns. More realistic, but more time consuming.