Does Production Tech speed up production?

I thought that it (Production Tech) would decrease the amount of time a unit would spend in production?

Reading the manual though, it seems to indicate you only gain a cost savings for 'advanced' units?

Each new level of Production Technology research decreases unit costs

by 5% after the final cost of the unit. The final unit cost includes applicable

research cost increases but not soft build limit penalties, if applicable. Soft

build limit penalties are still added, but only after calculation of final unit cost

and any Production Technology reduction.

I kept hearing how I should try to have US and USSR production techs as high as possible before they come into the war.

Given my limited MPPs shouldn't I have focused on Industrial Tech instead? Will production tech help bring my units to the field faster?

US and USSR don't particularly have high techs in infantry, tanks, air, etc... and I dont seem to have enough MPPs as allies to get US and USSR up enough that production tech would be effective (if it only lowers the cost of tech advanced units).

Am I missing something? In my current PBeM game, I sunk considerable MPPs into Production Tech for USSR. I wanted my units to get churned out quickly. Did I make a mistake? Wouldn't Industrial tech 'save' me more MPPs overall?

Thanks in advance!

--AOM

[ May 15, 2006, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: An Old Man ]

Well, Production Tech lets you buy more of them, so you could say yes. ;)

But in point of fact, no, a Corps will still take three months. There is no way to speed it up. All you can do is increase the amount of MPP through Industrial and cut costs through Production.

Ack! I was afraid of that! :(

Thanks for the answer Lars. Given that the USSR only has Motorization I (and maybe Hvy.Tanks I), I think the 500 or so MPPs I dropped to get to Production Tech II or III prior to Germany's advance is going to be a costly investment.

I think next time I need to invest in Industrial Tech, not Production Tech!

As an aside, how much do you have invested in USSR/USA Tech? About what point do you start just buying units?

--AOM

p.s. So if I had Production Tech V, and I bought a Corps with no 'upgrades' it would cost the same, and take as much time to field, as if I had no Production Tech at all?

I'd take a more balanced approach in the USSR, get one in each. Then start cranking out units. Try to get Anti-Tank and Infantry Weapons if you can before the invasion comes, because you know what's coming. Then, invest in tech if you ever get a chance again.

For the US, you can dump a bunch of chits in Industrial, as they get a 20% increase, which is better than anybody else and the US strong suit.

Originally posted by An Old Man:

p.s. So if I had Production Tech V, and I bought a Corps with no 'upgrades' it would cost the same, and take as much time to field, as if I had no Production Tech at all?

Er, no. It would cost much less, but take the same amount of time to reach the field.

If you went Industrial, that would be the case. But you'd have more MPP to spend.

Btw, you didn't screw up too badly. Start buying stuff like crazy!!!

Motorization is worthless for the USSR early, too expensive of an upgrade and you'll be going backwards for awhile. What's the date? How long till the invasion?

5 Production tech would be a cumulative 25% decrease in unit production, correct? So a Corp would cost 75 instead of 100, allowing you to buy 1 extra Corp. for every 4 purchased.

For the most part I only invest in IT over production at first. IT helps you every turn and the MPPs can be used across the board (production, research, upgrades, reinforcements, etc) while production only helps you at the time of purchase. Granted, even at level 2 you can save 30 MPP's buying Armor, or 75 at level 5, but IT typically gives you that back as well and on a more frequent basis.

As Germany, I find that I build most of my military up in the beginning and use most of my MPP's for reinforcing and upgrading. It just doesn't make sense to drop 5 chits into production at that point. For other country's...maybe, but if I were to choose between IT 5 or production 5, I'd always choose IT.