What to do with u-boats at the start?

What's the accepted wisdom on deployment of hte initial 3 u-boats? Do you give away the position of the one in the Atlantic by getting in early hits on the Canadian convoys? Do you try to sneak one past the RN cordon across the Nth Sea?

Or hide in the atlantic & Baltic until more a more favourable force balance is "achieved"?

Against a human player, I rarely have any luck bringing the atlantic sub back to port or the Baltic sea. (But I will try to sometimes.) I will usually raid and play cat & mouse with the RN. I'll keep the other two in the Baltic until my odds against the RN are much improved. Of course that depends on where the RN is. If most are in the Mediterranean, then bring them out.

The two in the Baltic usually stay until Russian navy gone, or help cordon off a Sealion invasion area, or break out into Atlantic to divert RN in a Sealion attempt, or add to your growing Wolfpack of high teched mauraders for later uses like intercepting Amis, convoy raiding, Med clearing, etc. smile.gif

The starting Atlantic sub, Hmmmm....well you could hide it for later use, porting in France, Spain, Algiers, usually in 41, it'll limp in without supply.

Or......simply speaking, that's the essence of SC2 isn't it....two letters......O R .... :cool: elaborately simple, yet emphatically engrossing. :confused:

Oh yeah...back to that starting Atlantic U-pack.

Raid for MPPs, diversion timed for Sealion, OR !!!! tongue.gif

3rd sub I tend to hide out somewhere and keep him sheltered then get him hitting the Med convoys in the South atlantic just as france falls, and Italy joins. Spring 40 is the weakest time for the Allied navy and the 4rd sub will strech him just as the Italians start to threaten in the med , and he has to watch out for a sealion.