Same thing here.

I use Esc though.

That's instant but getting back into the game takes 10 or so seconds at 2560x1600 resolution.

Perhaps Hubert can explain it when he's back in town.

My guess is that it's redrawing all the graphics again, which takes some time.

Essentially any delay is caused by DirectX memory being dumped or re-enabled when you go to and from SC2 via Alt-Tab or with the Esc key.

This is of course an automatic feature of DirectX when run in exclusive mode, as SC2 does, as this generally gives the game all the video/sound resources it needs to run efficiently and frees them up when not needed, i.e. when you switch out of the game to do something else etc.

Hubert: Would it be difficult in a coming patch to add an option to allow running the game in a window instead of full screen? would you have to change the whole software structure?

I personally like to play games in a window, precisely to be able to alt/tab quickly and also monitor other processes (through the taskbar).

Sorry for the size but it is needed to give you a better picture of the new map and features.

Windowed mode is something I have quietly been working on this week and so far so good although if you ALT-TAB during the AI turn you will have to wait until the AI completes its move until you can ALT-TAB back. Similar to what we have now and will work the same in windowed mode, i.e. you'll have to wait until the taskbar icon is flashing to indicate you can return to the game.

In general though, this is a screenshot from one of Blashy's test games with FoW toggled off to give you a better idea of the situation. AI is marching on Tobruk while Blashy is attempting a sneak around under the Quattara Depression... sneaky guy smile.gif

Notice the sandstorms in Jordan and the Commonwealth minors that have been upgraded by the AI. You'll also notice the sand tiles that reduce unit movement as well as the road and rail system that now affect regular movement as well as operational movement respectively.

Under the new system you can now only Operate to cities that are connected by rail so this will add a whole new dynamic to game play and players may actually be inspired to use Strategic Reserves as not all cities are connected as they previously were.

For example, US landings in Algeria will no longer be immediately counter attacked unless the player has Axis units in the immediate area as there is no rail past Alexandria in North Africa. Knock Paris down below 5 with the newly modelled Bombers (double strikes) and all subsequently connected cities via Rail drop to 5 as well. Cut a rail line in enemy territory and you can prevent all operational movement along that particular rail connection.

German advances in the USSR will also be affected as cities will only increase in strength as logical rail connections come on line. For example, if the Axis capture Minsk and then Kiev the German player will have to wait for Minsk to reach strength = 5 before Kiev will increase in strength past 3. Essentially this models reconstruction and re-establishment of supply as city railheads are rebuilt after the scorched earth destruction from the retreating Soviets.

More to come smile.gif

Looks excellent smile.gif .

One possible logic problem with supply is well illustrated here. The Allies have isolated Siwah but there is no effect on the Axis assault through the desert. Of course Siwah should always have a base supply level, but perhaps it should be more like that scorched earth example that you gave (i.e. Tobruk supply level for the ongoing supply chain = 0 therefore Siwah reduces to 3).

It'd be more noticable in the West, but even here the Axis supply level at the gates of Cairo drops from 2 to 0. That would encourage the Axis to leave screening forces to prevent the Allies marching on Tobruk, in this case preventing possible misuse of the southern route.

The main effect though would be to make the supply system more visually logical. Either way though, great additions!

Windowed mode is something I have quietly been working on this week and so far so good although if you ALT-TAB during the AI turn you will have to wait until the AI completes its move until you can ALT-TAB back. Similar to what we have now and will work the same in windowed mode, i.e. you'll have to wait until the taskbar icon is flashing to indicate you can return to the game.
Awesome work!

That would do the trick for me already as I have a pretty big screen to multitask on :D

Bromley,

The problem is Siwah and Tobruk are both essentially considered cutoff from their parent supply source since neither is connected to a friendly capital so with the current setup neither influences the other unless connected by rail. So in their cases they are at strength=5 as max supply as all other cutoff resources are unless otherwise specified via the Editor.

One adjustment I have made for Weapons and Warfare is to allow max strength for a particular resource type and Villages like Siwah by default now max at strength = 5 regardless of connection situation.

One thing that will slow down an Axis advance under Quattara though is that Desert terrain which acts like Mountains and limits the assault options... and so far plays out very well smile.gif

Lars, rail lines can not be broken per say (the actual bitmaps).

You break connections by reducing cities to 4 or lower, this removes operating abilities to other cities.

Ex: If city B only has a rail going to city A and city A is bombed to 4 or under then you can no longer operate to city A AND city B.

Works out fantastic. Simple and effective function.

[ July 13, 2007, 08:18 AM: Message edited by: Blashy ]

Ok, was just wondering if there was someway to speed up the rebuild process. It might add something to the game if engineers could rebuild a city/rail/road. Lot of other games have it, would be an easy add-on.

Lars, this is something I am hoping to add but most likely not until after initial release due to time.

One idea was brought up during testing to give the new Special Forces unit the ability to destroy rail lines and in turn you could use an Engineer to rebuild them.

Would add a whole new dynanic to the game and should work out well if properly implemented... I'll keep you guys updated as we proceed smile.gif

What if you limited it to an engineer at somewhat full strength? Then it would be bomber, bomber followed by fighter, fighter. ;)

Heh, here we are already play balancing something that's not in yet. As usual. :D