CMBB-What it REALLY needs!(better Strat AI)

Originally posted by wwb_99:

Uh, just how many scenario designers can write C++ AI code redwolf? Even if they could, how many could write it well? I suspect no more than a handful, if any.

I was just throwing in the TacOps example as further food for thought. In fact, neither me nor MajorH think it is a good thing as such, the Major said repeadently that we would like to change this aspect of TacOps. Of course, he doesn't want to break the programmed opponent either.

As for your question, there are several aspects. First, no "AI code" (whatever that means) has to be written. We are not talking about a complete programmed opponent, just small instructions to direct one, which could be quite simple from a code logic standpoint. Also, the designer can give the scenario to someone else to code some approaches.

As for languages, C++ is definitivly not a beginner's language, but for the purpose of this direction thing it would be entirely sufficient to integrate a slow-execution sub-language like TCL. Of course, using Common Lisp gives you expressive power, safety and speed in one language, but I guess we don't want to start a language holy war here :D

Note the difference to my original suggestion of having the PO loaded as a DLL, this of course requires to use a high-performance language, and very complex code.

I, for one, am against the 'planned' AI approach that one sees in TOAW, because it gets stale fast unless the designer is real, real slick at his plans. SOPs would be very, very cool however.

That's kinda what I quoted the TacOps example for, where the directed AI works quite well, without suddenly losing focus.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good points Sergi.

But ... if the AI could programaticly use some form of the above conditions triggers, and events I think we would see an improvement.

Now ... not knowing how the "fuzzy logic" works within CM its an easy thing to say ... Im just glad it works as well as it does.

All things considered ... it already does a damn good job ... and if it got too good I wouldnt play it anymore cause Id lose all the time ;)

Talon