A question for veterans...

Is there a way to simulate giving an order to your men that is something like, "Run here, shoot and then run away"? I understand that the only current way to simulate this is to use pauses so that your unit arrives at the desired spot with just enough time to fire off one shot and using the subsequent orders phase to order the unit away. Is this the only way to achieve this?

They are probably right. But - In real life I could say to a soldier, run through these woods, shoot one shot from your bazooka at a tank and then high tail your butt out of there.

It just kills me when I mis time my moves and I have a bazooka guy who just shot his last shot and is sitting there watching the turrent turning towards him without thinking about running until its too late.

Well, sure. When one of my crews has to abandon its vehicle or gun, or it runs out of ammo, I try to evacuate it to a safe location in the rear where it won't get shot at. But sometimes they get nailed before you can move them. That's war. It's also CM.

Michael

[ 10-14-2001: Message edited by: Michael emrys ]

Try using this method.

Run your bazooka guy towards the tank to get him within the desired range. The next waypoint should be a very short walk command, maybe 5 meters or so. The bazooka team will fire at any armored vehicle within range with a walk command. The next waypoint should be a run back to safety.

Another method is to use the pause command to time it so that your zooka team gets to the desired firing point about 10 seconds before the end of the turn. Then in the next turn issue the withdraw command to get him back into safety. He should be able to get off a shot with the 10 seconds.

What Pak40 said....

The infantry units, including AT teams, are not very prone to fire on a run command, more prone to fire a on move command, so this technique should work. You could also try "sneak" instead of "move", which gives you more stealth but less likelihood to fire. Still, hiding zooks will fire if they have a good shot at a tank, so a sneaking zook might also fire under those circumstances.

If there's good cover in the location, on the other hand, you might want to just move in and "hide" with you zook team, then await the right moment for the kill.

I've been having good success recently with using too many waypoints. By that I mean placing waypoints every couple of meters near the firing position you want to be in the turn before you get there. Then, on the next turn, delete and/or move the waypoints to get to exactly where you want to go, then issue a new movement order to hightail it out of there. The unit will go to the firing position (the last red waypoint), will then wait a number of seconds depending on the command delay for the unit (during which they will generally get off one shot, at least if the unit is regular), then will hightail it out of there. If the firing position looks like it's going to be too hot, you can use the multiple waypoints to plot a new path rearward or laterally.

This is one of the few situations where you want regular instead of crack troops - the command delay for crack is too small to always get off shot.

I've used the vehicle version of this tactic to good use recently with a SPW 251/16 - move, wait for 13 seconds (long enough to flame the building across the way) then reverse out of there.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Commander:

They are probably right. But - In real life I could say to a soldier, run through these woods, shoot one shot from your bazooka at a tank and then high tail your butt out of there.

It just kills me when I mis time my moves and I have a bazooka guy who just shot his last shot and is sitting there watching the turrent turning towards him without thinking about running until its too late.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

unfortunatly this game is still a game. as close as it comes to reality, there are still limitations to it. atleast you can look at it this way: what you cant do, neither can he! so atleast it goes both ways.

the best success i have with that ordeal is to time it to end at the end of the turn, as was stated above.

Hmmm, didn't know about that move command trick. Yeah, try that. smile.gif

But about that sneak command, IIRC, the manual says that units have more awareness of targets while sneaking. I think that means they'll also fire more than while moving. I'll have to recheck the manual.

BeWary

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BeWary:

But about that sneak command, IIRC, the manual says that units have more awareness of targets while sneaking. I think that means they'll also fire more than while moving. I'll have to recheck the manual.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From discussion on the board by those who have been over this, units sneaking will hold their fire until fired upon (after all, remaining unseen is the priority of sneaking) whereas units moving will open fire as soon as they spot an enemy. Units in any kind of motion will have reduced spotting ability to their flanks and rear compared to units at rest, and the faster they go, the more that ability is reduced.

Michael