Question for the anti-tank mine grogs

Hans

The anti-tank mines modelled in CMBB only immobilizes. When did the tilt rod mine come into the world of War? WWII or later? If during WWII who used them and when?

If they did exist during the CMBB period should they be modelled in CMBB?

Thanks

Originally posted by Hans:

The anti-tank mines modelled in CMBB only immobilizes. When did the tilt rod mine come into the world of War? WWII or later? If during WWII who used them and when?

Thanks

Russians, used a version of the tilt mine during WWII and strapped them to dogs. The rest is obvious. As with all these types of applications, I dont believe they were widely used, once again for obvious reasons, can a dog tell the difference between a T-34, and a Panther?

Seems like I have read about tanks being destroyed by mines not always just being immobilized with the tracks damaged. The odds might be low but it would seem some of the lighter tanks - say a T-26 might suffer more damage from a mine than a KV-1.

Originally posted by Nidan1:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Hans:

Thanks

Russians, used a version of the tilt mine during WWII and strapped them to dogs. The rest is obvious. As with all these types of applications, I dont believe they were widely used, once again for obvious reasons, can a dog tell the difference between a T-34, and a Panther?</font>

Originally posted by blackbellamy:

a little known historical fact is that Soviet infiltrators would be sent in the night before to cover the German tanks with bacon grease

I have to ask: If they could get infiltrators in, why didn't they just stick a demo charge where it would do the most good and skip the bacon grease and dogs altogether? Hmmm?

Michael

Originally posted by Hans:

Hey dog guys, thanks for the info but could we get back to tilt rod mines? tongue.gif

Thanks

Anybody out there with any knowledge of those types of mines being used in WWII?

Oh, a Thread Marshal's counter-hijack, eh? :D

My copy of TM 30-430, "Handbook on USSR Military Forces", says (page IX-135) that rod mines were used, but without giving any further detail other than to say that they are similar to the French (which it misspells "trench") "mine anti-char".

There is a whole demon's toyshop full of mine warfare nasties that could be modelled if Battlefront were so inclined -- whether it is worth it is another question, and traditionally wargamers have hardly bothered to deal with mine warfare at all.

The mine types mentioned in TM 30-430 that especially appeal to me are the LMG rocket-mine, which is essentially a HEAT rocket fired off a fixed spigot into the side of the tank that fouls the tripwire (the Galitski mine is reportedly similar); the OSM-152 "jumping" anti-personnel mine which launches a 152mm fragentation shell into the air when initiated (a 122mm version also existed); and, best of all, the exploding imitation frogs, used as booby-traps.

All the best,

John.

[ November 17, 2002, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: John D Salt ]