Tactical Decision Game

I'll attempt to do a better job now, though the wife is screaming for some attention so I might have to make this a two parter.
Sounds familiar. Hehe, I certainly wasn't so attached to my plan I was defending it. I see this as an entirely intellectual exercise. When you work in my area you get used to divorcing discussions of your work from your feelings. In fact you end up your own worse critic. It makes it hard sometimes when you come along here and "criticise" what someone says and perplexingly they take it personally. My wife thinks I'm always negative because I'm always anticipating the worst. Hard to convince that that's what I do all day biggrin.gif

Thanks for expounding on your plan as there were a few points I was unclear about. I would still be a little hesitant to adopt your approach because I'm not fond of fighting Germans in woods and if I were defending the town I would definitely put something in those woods. I dunno, maybe I was trying to be too cunning by not using the 'obvious' route smile.gif

Basically though we both agree that getting shot up the arse by the reinforcments wouldn't be fun. On that subject I notice that you have sent an infantry platoon around the eastern flank to set up a blocking position on the wooded ridge. Are they really necessary and I thought they might be a little exposed on their own up there. Your comments about securing the SBF position are pertinent and I actually tasked this "extra" platoon with that job and then to push up to AOA3.

On another subject I forgot to mention in my plan that if it were up to me I would take at least one and possibly both of my arty observers with regular ammo rather than VT. I don't think VT is all that effective against buildings or covered emplacements.

Oh and one question. I haven't used the US mortar halftracks yet, can you fire indirect with them? And would they usually have a HQ/OP with them?

------------------

"Stand to your glasses steady,

This world is a world of lies,

Here's a toast to the dead already,

And here's to the next man to die."

-hymn of the "Double Reds"

The blocking position on the ridge is there as a security measure for the units tasked with clobbering the counterattack force. I could see units (possibly a tank or two) abandoning the town under pressure and in their withdrawal hitting my AT assets in the flank or rear. I placed the blocking position there as security against this. You could put it down as "isolating the objective". Also if any tanks in the counterattack force make it across the bridge and over the ridge, this blocking force may buy the town's new defenders another minute or two. Necessary? Probably not, but I really didnt like sending that AT task force around there without some infantry support.

As far as being on their own, I always operated as a PL under the assumption that when in the woods there wasnt anything my platoon couldnt handle on its own given a standard load of ammo and some room to maneuver. So, no I wasnt hesitant about putting them up there on their own.

I need some feed back guys. I'm getting more and more new faces sending in posts. I'll try to get them all up as soon as I can. What I need to know is which way everyone wants to go for TDG 3. Do we continue working on the attack, in order to perfect this slippery subject? Or do we try a game with a solution focused on a defense?

1. Certainly no hurt feelings here. My solution is certainly one of "high-risk, high-reward" -- if things go well, they'll likely go quite well, but if things go south it could get ugly. Again, this is something you can live with in a game, but commanding real troops not the best idea unless the prize is REALLY worth it.

2. I don't mind doing more attacks, but I would be interested in a defensive situation also.

------------------

Leland J. Tankersley

2. I don't mind doing more attacks, but I would be interested in a defensive situation also.

I was reading TDG 1 and 2 with great interest and would like also would like to see some defensive task.

Guest Pillar

How are you guys finding the SBF Element working out in CM? I'm just curious on the account of the alleged undermodeling of MG's... Have you had to adjust the number of MG's or anything to obtain realistic results or is it working out fairly well?

• 2 weeks later...

I've been rather busy with work, what free time I can devote to CM has been taken up by CMMC. I am however carrying around a heavy load of guilt for neglecting the website. I am almost finished with an Italian mountain TDG that I hope to have up this weekend, as well as the German setup for the last game.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

OK! Well I'm finally back.

After a rather disappointing attempt at CMMC, I have withdrawn myself from that high maintenance/low reward relationship (sounds like an old girlfriend of mine).

So I'm back to creating TDG's for the enjoyment of those who like to do things tactically, rather then those on the other side of the gaming abyss (yes, I'm talking about those "It's just a game, guys!" whiners) who probably never set their mouse icon in my website, and quite frankly shouldn't!

I posted the german setup for the last game as requested and have added a new TDG. This one is a whopper and has been set up to allow the gamer as much leeway in planning as possible.

Enjoy!

I'll get the virus out of there, thanks. Been too busy to deal with it lately. It's in my word program and doesnt transfer when I copy the text file to wordpad and convert to .rtf. I'll update the zip file ASAP.

Scout