Techies- Need help re. download problem

Canuck

Haloo!

I'm having a problem regarding downloading of files. Whenever I did a regular download, it would always ask me where I wanted to save the file to. Now, for some silly reason, whenever I want to download a small file (less than 5 megs) it never gives me the option and just starts downloading into a temporary internet folder (with such a long and indecipherable name that if I ever closed the download box after the download was finished I'd never be able to find the file again).

Can any one tell me how I can change the settings so that it will automatically ask me where I want to download the file?

Thanks

*goes to re-download a mod* >_<

I often have a problem with this too (usually because the files are zip files and Explorer is set to open them with a compression program). I can't find a relevant setting in the Internet Options control panel that effects this behavior (under the Advanced tab). I believe, though I'm not sure, that this may depend on the website itself and the way the link is encoded. However it may just be some typical funkiness with IE and all the updates it's had. I suggest right-clicking on file links and selecting 'Save Target As..". If it isn't a direct link to the file then you'll get some other file (java, html, whatever...) so you need to pay attention to the filename of what will be downloaded.

Assuming that your file always gets opened by a program, possibly deleting that 'file type' in Explorer File Manager might help, but more than likely this may be more of an inconvenience.

[ December 27, 2002, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

From the Microsoft support site:

If you want to be prompted for a download location for the file type, follow these steps:

Double-click My Computer.

On the View menu, click Folder Options.

On the File Types tab, click the appropriate file type in the Registered File Types box.

Click Edit.

Click to select the Confirm Open After Download check box.

Click OK, and then click OK.

MORE INFORMATION

When you first click a link to download a file, the File Download dialog box appears. You have the following options:

Open this file from its current location

Save this file to disk

Always ask before opening this type of file

If you clear the Always ask before opening this type of file check box, you indicate that this type of file should always be opened with the associated program. The file is then downloaded to your Temporary Internet Files folder and opened.

If the Always ask before opening this type of file check box is unavailable, there is no program associated with the file type. For example, if you download a file with a .zip extension, the check box is unavailable unless you have installed a program that can open .zip files.

I'm runnin windows XP

And I use DAP all the time but a lot of times for small files I just dont feel like bothering with it. Or sometimes I accidentally choose to download regular instead of accelerated and then im screwed if i need to access the file again.

Going to try Tanks a Lot's suggestion. smile.gif

Originally posted by Canuck:

DING DING DING!!!

We have a winner!!!

Thanks a lot, Tanks a lot ;)

We should get your suggestion stickied somewhere smile.gif

The only change that I would make, is that (for me anyways) the Folder Options is located in the Tools section and not the View section.

Glad it worked for you Canuck. You should also thank Google for helping me find it.