FX5200

I just learned through the forum (excellent, thank you) that I could solve my wrong-colors-problem by using ALT-TAB. It works, even though it turns out it works only once, but still.

Anyway, does anybody have a clue WHY this problem occurs? It's not acceptable and I hope that NVIDIA (and/or Battlefront, prob NVIDIA) are doing something about it.

Is this the issue with the white text being 'invisible' in the 2D menus and info boxes ?

Which Windows and driver version are you running ?

This is a problem that occurs for people running Detonators newer than 40.7x and Windows 2000 or XP.

This is an issue that NVidia needs to fix. They probably will at some point (it was a problem before and then it got fixed and then broken again), but it most likely will get broken again.

If you don't mind going through the hassle of uninstalling and installing new drivers, you can download beta releases of the NVidia Detonators from Guru 3D (Videocard Drivers > NVIDIA detonator drivers > the newest drivers are usually at the top, make sure to pick the correct one for your Windows version). Some of these drivers may fix issues and other times they may often cause problems with certain games (while possibly fixing issues for other games).

No. The problem is that the dialogue-boxes have the wrong colour, as well as the background colour in the briefing screen. All text on the maps are also wrong. For example, town names are green in CMBO, hit info is dark dark blue in CMBB.

However, if you (I), ALT-TAB back and forth once, everything works perfectly. But if I ALT-TAB one more time, it reverts back to faulty colours. And this time it's unfixable. Somebody else with the same graphics card, had the exact same problem, so I assumed the problem was with all FX5200s. And, yes, I use the latest drivers and the latest DirectX.

im using fx52000 and i too have the blue thing bug. at first i tried reinstalling my os then tried beta 44.45 drivers which didnt work. although i cant run cmbb in winxp without using the compatibilty mode, both xp and 98 shows this blue bug.

anyways, thanks for posting this thread and suggesting the alt tab thing. ive been used to the blue background altho it hurts my eyes when i try to look at the penetrating stuff of the hard hitters (super duper dark blue)

im using:

win98 se

chaintech fx5200 128mb ddr(not ultra)

latest det driver from nvidia (44.03)

cmbb 1.03

note: maybe our card makers will release a bios update sometime soon? or anwyay if the programmers can release a mini patch for this.

• 5 months later...

I started this thread looong ago. However, I recently upgraded my drivers, hoping I wouldn't have to use the "ALT-TAB" thing anymore. I was wrong, and worse, now the ALT-TAB thing won't work. If I try using it the screen goes black. The sound's there, but I can't see anything. If I re-install the old drivers the problem's still there. I can play the game though, if I don't ALT-TAB at all.

Another thing, I have a feeling this happened once before, but I can't seem to remember what I did to fix it that time. (btw, it's MSI FX5200, WinXP)

The FX5200's had a color-compression bug in their drivers. It seemed to be the only FX series card to have this color problem. To my knowledge this problem was resolved with the 52.16 drivers.

I suggest uninstalling your current drivers (with the 'Add/Remove Programs' control panel) and then use one of the NVidia removal programs (Detonator Destroyer or R.I.P., etc.). Make sure that DirectX 9.0b is installed (and install it if it isn't). Reboot your computer, but DON'T install any Nvidia drivers yet (if Windows prompts you to install the previous version you were using, DON'T - cancel out of the process). You may need to reboot after installing whatever Windows prompts you with for a driver (WinXP will probably install the 'VGASave' driver). At this point (which is after rebooting for the default driver that Windows installs), install the 52.16 drivers or newer. Hopefully this will cure your problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if this issue is being addressed at all? Or has it been forgotten?

I am having compatibility problems as well. I had been using very old drivers (45.23)and did not have a single prblem with CMAK. But I purchased Call of Duty and was having some problems so I upgraded my drivers to the newest. Well when I went to play CMAK, my colors were very screwed up. I had teal backgrounds on menu-screens, pink targetting lines, and a host of other errors. And the images didnt look as sharp. So I had to reinstall the old drivers, which let me just say is a pain in the neck when I want to play a non CM game.

System specs:

Athlon Duron 1.4

256MB DDR Ram

Geforce FX5200

Windows 98SE

It is a problem with the video drivers. Often video drivers get broken with newer releases (some fixes, some breaks). Hopefully a newer release from NVidia will fix this problem. You can try some of the beta drivers at Guru 3D if you're in the mood to experiment.

There is nothing that BTS/BFC can do about this problem. It is only experienced with certain GeForce FX/Quadro boards, which really indicates how specific the problem is with the video drivers.

As a testament to how screwed up drivers can be, many Mac Radeon 9000 users have just used a beta driver that has fixed a long standing issue with CM (with the colors/environment completely messed up). The beta driver fixed most of the problems (the game is far more playable now, with only a few, minor graphical glitches). At the time many people complained bitterly that BTS was completely at fault and doing nothing to fix their game. Well, a driver bug was the sole cause of the problem.

Sven,

Good luck with this dilemma. It drove me crazy to the point where I went out and purchased a different video card that was able to run the older drivers. I think the Nvidia cards that are up to 4X AGP are your best bet. 8X AGP cards need the newer drivers and that's where the problem comes in. If you can, downgrade to 30.82. It works great and you will be able to use all the bells and whistles with the card.

Thanks to Schrullenhaft and Redwolf on this issue. The input from some of these guys is really invaluable.

I went from a Ti4800 8X AGP to a Ti4600 4X AGP card. Same amount of memory on both cards but the AGP capability was different. The Ti series cards are pretty good and they have come way down in price. I'm seeing some Ti4600 series cards in the $120 - $150 range. I purchased mine for $350 quite some time ago.