Recommended Pbem scenarios...

Many things have changed since posting this original message. Please read my further (edited) comments below and the other posts sent by all the good people. I'll leave the rest of my original "first" post of this topic intact below so that people having similar problems can find these helping posts (through search) and to provide a monument for arrogance and selfishness... redface.gif

As there are plenty of places were one could go to for downloading a bunch of scenarios, read AARs and articles about those very same scenarios it could be a nice idea to collect the very best ones (play by e-mail scenarios - meaning balanced and enjoyable) on one list so I could easily find and download them... ;)

As most search engines on scenario sites do not allow search with such conditions as "playability as pbem" or "balance against human opponent" I often find myself endlessly going through huge archives with no other way to find what I'm looking for than simply checking each of the scenarios present one by one.

I'm not short with opponents but most of them are fed up with either QBs or playing against me in my self-made scenarios (little surprises for the author - breaking the balance I have tried to achieve :( )...

Hope this will help others as well.

Selfish as always,

-T

[ April 29, 2002, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: Traject0ry ]

I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree a little bit here - as great as the Scenario Depot is (and it is great), its "Top 10 PBEM" lists are skewed by single reviewers who score "10" for PBEM, usually not even having played that scenario as PBEM.

That really bugs me, as it makes the Top 10 list effectively useless. Come on folks, use the "0" score for replayability and/or AI/PBEM if you have not played it that way - it will not adversely affect the average score.

Keith has indicated it is too CPU-intensive to generate more useful (my words) Top 10 lists, e.g. by only considering scenarios with more than (say) 3 reviews - kind of like Big Dog's lists, but in real time.

So yes - I end up doing what the original poster complains about, having to look through pretty much all battles to find a good one.

My plug for a great PBEM: "A Second Job - Vossenack".

[ April 25, 2002, 06:26 PM: Message edited by: voidhawk ]

Originally posted by voidhawk:

I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree a little bit here - as great as the Scenario Depot is (and it is great), its "Top 10 PBEM" lists are skewed by single reviewers who score "10" for PBEM, usually not even having played that scenario as PBEM.

Keith has indicated it is too CPU-intensive to generate more useful (my words) Top 10 lists, e.g. by only considering scenarios with more than (say) 3 reviews - kind of like Big Dog's lists, but in real time.

So yes - I end up doing what the original poster complains about, having to look through pretty much all battles to find a good one.

My plug for a great PBEM: "Vossenack - A Second Job".

Our goal here shall be to create a list of people's favourites as well as to provide access to quality lists for pbem scenarios upkept by the true fanatics.

[ April 29, 2002, 09:50 AM: Message edited by: Traject0ry ]

I update my list daily :rolleyes:

All three of the scenarios from Wild Bill's Rumblings of War tourney hosted at Scenario Depot have been extensively playtested (including 12 games of each in the tourney), and the most unbalanced one was an average of 53-47 or so; one of them (Real Guts) even came out dead even on play balance.

Search under R for ROW - the three scenarios are ROW - Resolve at Ranville (my personal favorite), ROW - Real Guts, and ROW - Duel at Dompaire.

Edit - The tourney was played double-blind, so no peeking! Knowledge of enemy OOB/setup areas would certainly change the play balance.

[ April 25, 2002, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: redeker ]

Originally posted by Traject0ry:

Cheerio, this is my line too. All these sad top tens do not interest me. If people actually bother to write down here a single Pbem scenario they liked the best we should have a list of balanced and good scenarios and ofcourse names to throw stones at if the scens named suck...

Keep up the good work, I'll check this one out ;)

I will open the list : Cintheaux-Totalize and if you do not believe me, read the comments at the Scenario Depot. Ooh...of course, I use this post as a shameless plug for some scenarios on the site below, but I guess you'll have to check each one on playability :cool:

Big Dog, where do you keep your list? Thanks!

Here ;) If list changes during the week I will revise the list. Although my list is overall score not just top ten PBEM or vs AI. I all most changed my list to top 10 over 5 reviews, but upon review after looking at comparison between the two I decided to keep it 3 reviews mainly to profile the new hot scenarios. If you look at the currant list most of the scenarios have more than 3 reviews.

List 4/21

# Reviews

3 @ 3 Reviews

2 @ 4 Reviews

1 @ 5 Reviews

1 @ 7 Reviews

1 @ 12 Reviews

1 @ 16 Reviews

1 @ 19 Reviews

BTW I do agree about the shortcomings of the List Page at the Depot, that is why I do my list. Some day the Admiral will change it so I won’t have to print 42 pages on my Saturday tongue.gif

[ April 25, 2002, 06:56 PM: Message edited by: Bigdog ]

Oopsie, once more the idea was to collect a list of good Pbem scenarios. Thus name, where it can be downloaded and the guy recommending it are the only things that count. And that is the scenario name, site page and the rest is added to the post automatically.

If you are looking forward to fight over which site is the best in listing scenarios or who does the most work in order to get his site to function properly please go and start a topic for "Flaming the sad scenario sites" but in here the idea was clearly different.

Thank you for those scenarios named, I shall check all the ones named here and post reviews at the sites hosting them (though this will take a while as I play only 2 turns a day...)

Be patient then and be good ;)

[ April 29, 2002, 09:33 AM: Message edited by: Traject0ry ]

As Agua mentioned, "Meeting" is good for PBEM. I am playing it now....but be aware that there are no flags which is fairly interesting. This means that victory points are only calculated by casualties and such.

I reviewed "Forest Dwellers" and recommend it. Good balance and nice map IMHO. Also, I helped Biltong playtest "Wrong End" and it is good for PBEM if you like a scenario that has lots of decisions and small battles within a larger map.

I believe "Flag Rush Hill" is also available at the depot and it was one of the more "unique" scenarios in Wild Bill's ROW tourney. WBW did not write it though. No comments on this one except that I played it and it is really "unique"......and IMHO tough for allies.

All the above are meeting engagement.

My $0.02!

-Sarge

Ahem...

Here goes again. As it is that people are already keeping and updating lists of good pbem scenarios this topic will (in the future) serve only the purpose of:

A) Add people's personal favourites on the list here in order for those interested to go and find them

B) Add directions (addresses) for good upkept

lists of pbem scenarios.

As most scenarios are reviewed at the sites no comments on the scenarios shall be added here. Go to the sites, download the scens and write the reviews/AARs or whatever it is the site asks for.

Thus people visiting here can check scenario reviews for the scenarios listed at the site or find a list upkept by someone containing quality pbem scens.

Hope this removes all the grief caused by my previous posts.

Thank you for all the good scens listed and directing me to the right tracks...

(I'll prolly be labeled as "Lap Dog" after this :D )

[ April 29, 2002, 09:31 AM: Message edited by: Traject0ry ]

Originally posted by Armdchair:

"Meeting" was designed by a friend of mine, Michael " Gonzo" Gonzalez. I'm sure he'd appreciate some reviews of it at the Scenario Depot by satisfied CM'ers.

You guys still doing any scenario design together or interested in cranking it back up if not? If so, wouldn't mind playtesting again.