Modern AT-Rifles?

Hi.

I wonder about modern versions of At rifles. Are there any? Of course there isn't any chance to hammer any MBT with it but maybe lightly amored things like personal carries and stuff...

I remeber a pic of a russian made 20mm (!) sniper rifle wihich is intened to blind MBTs and ever hammers things like a M113. It was possible to be carried by 2 man while put into two parts.

Does a weapon like this make any sense when all this Anti-Tank rockets are issued like popcorn to the troops. Maybe a bit more inexpensive (& ineffective).

I look forward toyour posts (links?)...

:D

I doubt that anything like that is intended for anti-tank purposes for the reason that you give, but those who are better informed on such matters than I have mentioned that the .50 caliber sniper rifles now in service or on offer make dandy long range weapons against soft targets, including grounded helos.

Michael

There are modern equivalents to anti-tank rifles, they are called anti-material rifles, with calibers usually from 12,7 to 20 mm. They are usually employed against targets like machine gun nests or antitank missile teams up to a range of 1000 to 1500 m but can also be used with some success against lightly armored vehicles.

There's a new heavy rifle being tested atm by the Royal Marines that is capable of firng AP rounds - apparently capable of taking out APCs and some tanks. Its to be used as a sniper rifle also.

Cant remember the name off hand im afraid, I believe its a .50 inch calibre.

Might be something in Janes, but theres very little info out about it yet (AFAIK). ITs not listed at that site linked above.

Edit: Oh - i tell a lie - it might be the Barret. Nope - its the AW-50 - funny video here: http://www.50bmgstore.com/accuracy.mpg

You can even buy one for a measly $10,599.00 US dollars : http://www.impactguns.com/store/50bmg.html

[ October 12, 2002, 10:14 AM: Message edited by: dd ]