Anti-Tank rifles

Originally posted by PantherG:

Why didn't the Russians phase these out late-war? They can occasionally score a penetration, but they almost never actually kill tanks.

Try attcking an AT rifle heavy Soviet Infanty Company with German HT's and Open top Assault guns like the Nashhorn and Marder. That should answer your question.

Whilst they may not kill the later tanks they come up against, they are (as mentioned) very much the thing to deter the enemy from pushing forwards with thin armoured assets like HT's, A/C's and some assault guns.

On rare occasion, they can score a track or gun hit on a more thickly armoured vehicle.

When the patch comes along to allow them to engage other targets, I shall be even happier.

They keep tanks buttoned up, seem to be hard to locate and do (as also mentioned) make a nice happy P'ting noise to comfort you when under heavy tank pressure.

it would have been nice if the russians had used some of the bazookas the us sent them. i think a combo of atr's with bazookas for the heavier stuff would make a very formidable defense. perhaps by the time the bazookas were sent the russians were on the offensive and felt they were unnecessary...

I suppose that production limitations and inertia kept them in production long after they were obsolete. Not the first time this happened in war. The Russians never really developed significant hollow charge weapons in numbers such as the bazooka or AT magnetic mines. I am guessing that is why the AT rifle was still around at the end of the war. Still, even in late war situations they could be useful. German HT and AC did not get any thicker and ATRs were useful against infantry and bunkers in the right situation.

One strong point is that ATRs had excellent range compared to hollow charge weapons which gave them one advantage until the end.

I got a mission-kill on a KV-2 last night with a Solothurn ATR. Knocked out the main gun.

I also had kept it buttoned up for about 15 minutes by steadily plinking, and that's not to be underestimated. The only protection against that monster gun is to make sure it can't spot a target.

Unfortunately, a stray shell (one of the three it got off the whole scenario) took out my mortar observer... :mad:

[corrected - ATR was a Solothurn, not Russian]

[ November 21, 2002, 12:19 PM: Message edited by: demoss ]