Recommendation.. armored cars or light tracked tank in CMBO

For the Allies, I like both the Greyhound and the Stuart. Assuming you are not playing an unrestricted force composition game, which one you choose depends on the make-up of the rest of your force and how many purchase points you have in vehicles and armor. I usually max out armor with heavier tanks and use vehicle points for Greyhounds.

For the Commonwealth, the Daimler AC is lethal against German halftracks, ACs, and light armor, but doesn't have any HE rounds, so you need to compensate for that elsewhere.

For the Germans, I am somewhat partial to the 20 mm halftrack. It's cheaper than the ACs but in the same category. In my experience, German ACs are very fragile and not worth the extra points. What German light tanks did you have in mind? In my experience, both the Hotchkiss and the Lynx are pretty useless.

Dook,

What I am planning to do is put together a large fluid tank vs tank battle scenario. Without infantry or arty. My opponent and I will each buy units and play pbem. I dont care which side I am on but I do like to have some recon. Just not sure if it should be AC or tanks.

Was wondering what others have experienced..

Tracked.... or untracked.... Toad

It looks like the consensus is wheeled for the allies and wheeled or HT for the axis.

Here is my reasoning:

As you point out, you can generally get the same guns for a lower price in the non-tracked vehicles. The tracked units tend to have a bit more armor, but not enouth to stand up to a real tank, so the little extra dosen't seem to add much survivability. Especially with the decent road net you mention, there isn't a big mobility loss.

Is that what you were looking for?

For the Germans I do like the 20mm 250 HT. Dirt cheap and kills Greyhounds and US HT's really well. But if you meet a Stuart, well then it's better to have a Puma around since the 20mm is not good against the frontal aromr of the Stuart.

On the Allied side I would go for the Stuart (in a game restricted to light aromr only) due to its better front aromr. Only 37mm AA gun or Puma can penetrate it.