Hanging @ 3-D Graphics

cjlawn

Hey. I just got CM, but am unable to get up and running. I have an iMac (266 /160RAM) and after I get through the scenario/briefing screens, I get a message like "3-D Graphics Loading" or something (background of many national flags), which remains on the screen for minutes, I mean minutes. I've not let it go for an hour, but have just force quitted.

Is there some video hardware that I need to run CM that I didn't know about? Should I ride out the storm and wait out the loading?

Many thanks in advance for your advice.

It should not take that long to load. You may need to use a different ATI video card driver. There have been a variety of previous posts regarding similar problems. I'm not a "techie," so I can't offer specific suggestions, but hopefully some other folks can. Keep at it, it's worth it.

Did you try out the Gold Demo ? Did it work for you ? Do you still have it and can you try it again ?

What resolution are you running at ? I'd suggest deleting your CM prefs file and reducing your resolution to 640 x 480 and setting your color depth to 16-bit color to see if that helps. As far as I'm aware you Mac has 2-6Mb of VRAM (2 is standard - 6 is a 4Mb upgrade, which I think was available for the Rev B iMacs - if I remember correctly).

As Buckeye mentioned you may want to get an update to your ATI drivers. I think ATI's Universal Installer is the latest if you don't have OS 9.0.4. You may also want to download the latest OpenGL extension (1.2.1 ?) which at the moment you can get with the CroMag Rally demo (a 40Mb download). Do a search on the Tech Support forum for the URL to download the demo.

Guest Madmatt

I think these message might as will be the new Mac Form Letter for ATI issues smile.gif

Here goes:

Couple things to try. First is that there is a new Universal Installer

available for Mac installed ATI video cards. That's the good news, the bad

news is in the odd way they have chosen to distribute it. In short, the

haven't, but there are ways to get it and we HIGHLY recommend upgrading any

ATI video card with them. Here is a thread from our Tech Support forum which

goes into detail about how to get them. http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/012650.html

If those drivers don't work, then also try the following:

1. If you're running Norton Disklight - turn it OFF.

2. Try setting your desktop to 640x480 before launching CM. If that works,

try 800x600 (or 832x624).

3. The backside cache may be causing problems. You can disable it with

"G3/G4 Cache Profiler" from www.powerlogix.com . I think it's free.

Hopefully one of the above, and the best chance is with the new Universal

Driver will fix your problem.

Madmatt

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 12-22-2000).]

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Madmatt!!

Thanks for the advice. I'm on vacation now, but will follow it when I return. Two questions, though -- I don't know beans about my hardware on the video side. You mentioned a "Universal Installer available for Mac installed ATI video cards". Do I have a Mac installed ATI video card in my iMac. I haven't had anything besides the extra RAM put in, so I guess my real question is do you (or others) know whether iMacs have such an ATI video card out of the box?

Next question, am I correct that a "driver" (and by extension, the Univesrsal Unstaller) is a reference to the software that runs the video card?

I realize that these are newbie questions, and for that I appologize. Thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cjlawn:

Hey. I just got CM, but am unable to get up and running. I have an iMac (266 /160RAM) and after I get through the scenario/briefing screens, I get a message like "3-D Graphics Loading" or something (background of many national flags), which remains on the screen for minutes, I mean minutes. I've not let it go for an hour, but have just force quitted.

Is there some video hardware that I need to run CM that I didn't know about? Should I ride out the storm and wait out the loading?

Many thanks in advance for your advice.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That happened to me a few times on my G4. DO NOT FORCE QUIT THEN PLAY AGAIN BEFORE YOU RESART! The game will not function properly. This will sometimes happen if you are loading a large or huge map with alot of turns and alot of different types of vehicles. This can also happen if you are loading a large or huge map with DD's hig res grass :P

------------------

No bastard has ever won a war by dying for his country. They won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country.

So that you can all sleep at night, you'll be glad to hear that I downloaded the new ATI Installer via CroMag Rally and am now getting my ass handed to me by the Germans in the Tutorial...but not for long, I sense the tide turning.

Thanks to all who pitched in with suggestions.