Who has 'modded'/got field grey German AFVs

I am trying to gather a list of what AFVs are available in field grey, who modded them and their DL sites (provided it's worth it). I've scoured the mod sites I know and come up with relatively little so far. If anyone has or is using field grey could you stick the details up pse (or mail me direct). Any help much appreciated.

[ February 03, 2002, 07:03 AM: Message edited by: Apache ]

fyi, from an e-mail I just sent Apache:

As PawBroon indicated on the forum, I had done some fieldgrey (probably not historically correct) mods. My goal was to have an early war look. Attached (jpeg) you will find those mods I use for the Eastern Front campaign mod (Frontovik by Mike T and Co.) They look more realistic (in my opinion) in urban Frontovik scenarios versus the more colorful camo variants that I use for the normal CMBO - west front theatre.

NOT ALL OF THEM WERE DONE BY ME. I am showing them together so you can see how they look as a group. The Tiger is Tiger's (Ha), the Panther was Maximus' (via Fernando), the King Tiger is Kitty's, the Kubelwagen is Mr. Clark's and the Jagdpanther is Brunnelle's. The others are mods I'd done based on the original CMBO / BTS skins. All I did was tweak the colors, add some details, and sharpen a bit. They are primarily low-res, better than the orignals but certainly not like stuff produced by the mod gods, as I have a light weight computer and did not want to sacrifice speed during mega East Front armor and urban battles.

You'll notice some interesting twists. I have a Panzer III (shown) / IV F1 (with short 75 HE not shown), air recognition panels for Marder and Truck (for when the Germans had air superiority) and an early Panzer (imposed on the Hotchkiss). Looking at the pic, I notice I did not show the JagdTiger. I have that in fieldgrey too.

You'll find most of my fieldgrey mods at Wargamer's CMWorld page under Frontovik (Russian Campaign) and / or Fading Hopes (Biltzkreig - 1940). http://www.wargamer.com/cm/cmworld/defaultflash.asp

Again, those are larger campaign mods organized by Mike T with help from a number of different modders. Some of my fieldgrey stuff is not there. I'm pretty sure the Stug (I think Mike T went with Tiger's grey version), the Truck (here, Mike used Mike Dorosh's), the Jagdpanzer, and JagdTiger are NOT available there.

Anyway, you may find these fieldgrey may work for you. However, I too would like to see someone take all of the great khaki bases (predominately done by Fernando) and convert them into a fieldgrey. My stuff is passable but could certainly be improved upon. If you see anything you want to test out, drop me a line.

Regards.

bfamily33

[ February 03, 2002, 10:50 AM: Message edited by: bfamily33 ]

Brilliant - thanks v. much. I'll go through them and sort out. I do like the various mod schemes that are about but the trouble is I've gone for so many of the different schemes that my forces too like a patchwork-quilt. I suppose that's not too unhistorical given that paint perhaps started to run out and the units applied what they wanted or could get. I'm not sure whether you'd have found quite such an array of different schemes at the company level though, apart from where AFVs etc. were detached to them from other units.

#1, as Dorosh points out in a very subtle way, it is dark grey, commonly referred to as Panzergrau (color 46 as per order HM 40/864 of 31.7.1940), not "Feldgrau" (color 3, still carried at the beginning of war on small parts and motorcycles and military cars etc., dating back to the original SOP HDv 488/1 from 20.4.1933).

#2, it *is* unrealistic for CMBO (dark yellow (RAL 7028) being the new standard color for practically all vehicles and large equipment as per order 43/181 from 18.2.1943.

only some special items such as certain engineer equipment (boats, pontons and other bridging equipment) retained the dark grey color.

[ February 04, 2002, 08:57 AM: Message edited by: M Hofbauer ]

Just to jump in on what Herr Hofbauer said...vehicles in Panzer Gray (schwartzgrau) would be extremely rare by June 1944. Most likely only the odd, aged vehicles in remote areas far from the front would still have any of these. Although there persist rumours that allied troops encountered panzer gray vehicles in France and/or Germany after D-Day, there is little to substantiate this. Some people have pointed to black and white photos of vehicles that are clearly not panzer yellow as evidence of schwartzgrau, but these have been discounted as they are almost certainly vehicles painted in predominately panzer green (which is supported by evidence from the german factories).

Bottom-line, we should probably wait until CMBB before we worry about Panzer Gray vehicles.

Right, primarily yellow then is the colour to go for if looking for a one colour force. BUT, would that be right at company level or would TDs etc likely be in asome kind of ambush colour scheme and the tanks etc in tri-colour with everything else yellow?

Originally posted by Apache:

Right, primarily yellow then is the colour to go for if looking for a one colour force. BUT, would that be right at company level or would TDs etc likely be in asome kind of ambush colour scheme and the tanks etc in tri-colour with everything else yellow?

With the Germans almost anything goes, except Panzergrau/Dunkel Grau in '44 smile.gif . There's a cool picture in "The Eastern Front" showing 2 SdKfz 251s of Panzer Lehr driving down a street in Budapest in '44. The one on the left is basic Dunkel Gelb, the one on the right is sporting the latest 3-color fashion statement from the spring Paris fashion show. :D

Gordon

Yup, Gordon is right there....pretty much anything goes for the Germans smile.gif

Apache, what you need to keep in mind is that in many cases (at least until ambush entered use) vehicle camo was applied by the crews, so it isnt uncommon to see a column of vehicles each painted differently (or some not at all). Hehe, I even have a photos here of a Heter with brown crosses painted over this yellow base. Not sure what the crew were thinking there, but I guess anything is better than nothing smile.gif

Dan