Navarone Scenario ready for Beta-Testing!

Hey Russelmz, thanks for the debriefing! I had not noticed that problem with the road. Are you talking about the road that cuts up into the mountain? I will check it out.

That was a great report. Let me know of anything else you think of.

Did the Self Propelled Artillery carriers do anything for you?

Did the reserves arrive too early or too late?

Would you change the load-out of the artillery in any way?

Could you give me a little more detail on the Jabos? Were any shot down? The allies get a total of 3 - 2 on turn 1 and 1 on (IIRC) turn 10.

Did you capture ALL the flags?

Did you only use the far right bradge, or did you also use the large double bridge?

What did the Axis have left at the end?

Could you send me your last turn?

[ 07-11-2001: Message edited by: Panzer Leader ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

Hey Russelmz, thanks for the debriefing! I had not noticed that problem with the road. Are you talking about the road that cuts up into the mountain? I will check it out.

That was a great report. Let me know of anything else you think of.

Did the Self Propelled Artillery carriers do anything for you?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

as i mentioned, the priest blew itself up in the first round and the second got hit by the guns before anything could be done with it :( . im sure it was bad luck both times.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

Did the reserves arrive too early or too late?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i got the tanks up to the mountain and i took my time, blowing tanks, building etc beofre crossing. if the road is fixed i think the reinforcement is fine.

Would you change the load-out of the artillery in any way?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

it was doable with the small stuff used for smoke and the heavy stuff knocked out the open air guns fine. i can't imagine doing it with less or doing better with more.

Could you give me a little more detail on the Jabos? Were any shot down? The allies get a total of 3 - 2 on turn 1 and 1 on (IIRC) turn 10.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

nope, the aaa was a little busy trying not to die from 240mm rounds... they smoked the half tracks, of which i am thankful, but the armor was not touched.

on one of turn replays, a jabo came out of the blue to drop two 500 lb bombs on one of my half tracks i had rushed ahead. no matter, only one and it only had 2 mmg guys.

Did you capture ALL the flags?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

nope, i tried a armor rush at the end that got a few but missed by a few meters. i was concentrating on my own, more realistic idea of the primary objective, killing the damn pillboxes smile.gif (more realistic? this from a man who ran his jeeps in circles to give the pillboxes something to shoot at...)

Did you only use the far right bradge,

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yep

or did you also use the large double bridge?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

reminds me of a quote in someone's sig: does this plan involve us walking slowly to the enemy's guns?

What did the Axis have left at the end?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i wil email u the last turn, i remember it being ~130 left but not sure.

Could you send me your last turn?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yep!

[ 07-11-2001: Message edited by: Panzer Leader ][/QB]

Okay, people. I have listened to the complaints, shrugged off the compliments, dove back in and fine-tuned this scenario. I am now sending it out to a couple of well-known and beloved sites in hopes that they might take it, publish it, and distribute it for your enjoyment. I will post more later.

This one gets the Lee Marvin rating. (Only Lee Marvin himself could pull this off.) I don't think that most people would win as allies first time through. The axis (computer) scored a minor victory against me. I also played about 20 turns as the Germans to test some things on the map out.

The things that need to be corrected mostly have to do with roads that are too steep. There are 3 spots that I know of that need fixing. The first is on the road up the back of the mountain. I couldn't get a tank up the first part of the hill. (I would bet that some of those other spots are too steep too, but couldn't get up to test them.) The next spot is the road next to the mountain that leads to the double bridge. The third spot is the bridge that leads to the island part of town.

I had a hard time as the allies. I put the bulk of my force on the road that leads to the double bridge and tried to feed my vehicles up that road. I had recon vehicles on the middle road too. Those guns on the mountain picked off my armor very slowly. I did waste some armor just trying to see if I could move AFV's on some hilly terrain. (They got picked of by AT guns in the town when I tried that.) To get rid of some of the guns I used my 105's to shell the gun positions. Those took out the ones not in the pillboxes. Then I found shadows where I could not be hit from the hill top for my tanks to move up into. I then tried to isolate fire on one pill box at a time. I used the regular m4's for that. I managed to knock out every gun on the hill except one 75pillbox. I had 3 tanks left over from trying to quiet the gun emplacements.

When my rienfocements came I ran the tanks down that road past the point where they could be hit by the remaining 75pillbox. There they fought with the tanks defending the town. I lost all my tanks on that side, but the germans only had the panther left, and it was immobilized.

Too bad I only had a few m4's and an HMC left over. So I found some shadow positions where my m4's and the HMC could empty thier ammo on troops that occupied the town. On the last turn I sent my m4's out in different directions in an attempt to kill the panther. To no avail. The panther killed both m4's. I only managed to get one victory location. I found those fords very useful. (I think you should have a section of woods that extends down to where the middle ford is, you should give troops at least one viable way of getting to a ford with out getting all shot up. All the other ways are either in the open, mined or have barbed wire across them.)

Then I tested it from the German side. I found some road spaces impassible. Also the bridge that is supposed to be blowable didn't go up like it should have. Do I have to wait till enimy units are near it for the thing to blow right? Playing against the computer the AI used those arty rounds to attack my units. Not what you intendend them to do I think.

I liked watching the AA fire at the attacking airplanes, but no planes were shot down.

The arty was about right, I just put my spotters in a bad place. (I lost one of them and the rest got shot up. ooops) I just wasted my 240mm on the pillboxes. With the last 6 left I targeted the town and took out an AT gun. I should have used all of them on the town.

There is also this pyramid in the middle of town that is mainly road. You might want to flatten that out too. (on the island)

I know how to attack it now and think I could take the town the second time I tried against the computer. Playing against a person is another thing entirely.

Good work, I found it a fun puzzle. I came close to solving it too :D :