Dead Tiger Wallpaper

The bigger ones are probably 75 or 76 mm. It was common practice among allied tankers to run an AP round through abandoned German vehicles. It was probably good practice for the gunners and prudent as well. Just because it's not moving now doesn't mean it's not playing dead. The smaller dots could be ricochets of smaller guns. I imagine that a .50 from close range just might dig a gouge big enough to cast a shadow.

Originally posted by hank:

The bigger ones are probably 75 or 76 mm. It was common practice among allied tankers to run an AP round through abandoned German vehicles. It was probably good practice for the gunners and prudent as well. Just because it's not moving now doesn't mean it's not playing dead. The smaller dots could be ricochets of smaller guns. I imagine that a .50 from close range just might dig a gouge big enough to cast a shadow.

The holes in the road wheels are definitively .50

Gyrene

Originally posted by Sir Uber General:

Interesting. So the size of the ammo round, ie 76mm, will not translate into a hole of the same size in the armour? Do bits of it get sprayed off as it penetrates?

Uber

This depends on the type of round. IIRC, solid shot (as used by the Brits) would produce a hole roughly the same diameter as the round. Other ammo types, such as discarding sabot, have a penetrator that is much smaller than the bore diameter, so they will produce smaller holes. Then there are the heat rounds which produce very small holes. I'm sure others can elaborate or correct me, but this is basically the gist of it I think.