The Nordic Championships (Part II)

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The finals will begin in about five hours. Well, two-thirds of the finals anyway. We're still working on one of the scenarios. It will be ready shortly. In the meantime, we'll get this ball rolling again.

If you are the Allied player you will receive only your briefings and a password for each game. If you are Germans you will receive all this plus the .cmb saved game file. The German player will start the PBEM game with this file. As previously mentioned, you can expect files in about five hours. Good Luck, Gentlemen!!

Treeburst155 out.

# Fluid

Tuomas v Cogust

Ari v Mattias

# Twin_Valleys

Ari v Tuomas

Cogust v Mattias

# Scenario_3

Tuomas v Mattias

Cogust v Ari

There is something wrong with Nabla's side opitimization rutine. If you exchange Ari and Mattias you can clearly see, that then everyone plays twice the other side and once the other. Now Mattias plays the latter thrice.

I think that there was a quirk like this even in the original sections. Somebody was sore about having to play the allies four times. (Ofcourse nobody would have complained if they had had the germans four times.) I seem to remember that if you would have exchanged sides in one of the scenarios then there would have been three players playing allies thrice and three playing germans thrice. Although I'm not certain about that one, but atleast in the finals the algorithm did'nt work as planned.

From the modest input I have seen the algorithm seems to make certain that everyone plays the first side (number of scenarios)/2 rounded up so 3/2 = 2. When one player can't do this the algorithm leaves him on the second side one time too many. Well that's atleast what I have gathered. Any better ideas?

-TNT-

The schedule is optimized with the following considerations applied:

1) Every player plays every scenario one time

2) Every player plays every other player one time

3) Equal comparisons of players (play same side of scenario)

Number 3 is the reason Mattias ends up playing the Germans all three times.

Treeburst155 out.

[ April 28, 2002, 09:33 PM: Message edited by: Treeburst155 ]

I don't follow one bit...

If you wanted the players to play both sides why didn't you just manually switch my side in one of the games?

How could it matter which side I play if the Nabla system works as it is supposed? And since when did playing the Germans yield an easy victory or improve a players quality?

Doh...?

M.

The only thing I can come to think of is if Mattias is an extremely good Axis player and a very lousy Allied player. It might be tru, but I doubt it as he has proceeded this far in the tournament. If he would've sucked as Allies, then I don't think he would have reached the finals.

Mattias,

If you look at the schedule in columns you will notice that each player has his score compared to every other player one time. This has to be done deliberately. We don't want the same two players to play the same side of a scenario several times because the highest score achieved from a given side gets the playoff point. If one guy was compared three times to the same good player it wouldn't be fair.

It is difficult to explain clearly in a short post. I will explain in more detail if you would like.

Treeburst155 out.

TB..

Reading my post again I realize that it might sound like I am complaining. That, however, is not the case smile.gif

Firstly I was wondering why you couldn't just switch places if someone wanted to play another side. Something you explained here.

Secondly I was wondering what Cogust meant by saying that I would be at a disadvantage, or indeed advantage, by playing the Germans three times.

--

In any case.. No problem smile.gif

M.

• 2 weeks later...