Panzer Aces

"Panzer Aces"

By Frank Kurowski

Just got through reading it , again , from what I gleaned from this fine book seems the KV-1 was REAL ! hard to kill. So why is it only takes a panzer III (50 MM gun) 3 or 4 hits from 800 meters to take one out in the demo.

True the panzer crew were Vets and the KVs crew were Green , but does this make that much of a

difference.

maybe I was lucky all 5 times...

bnickb

Yup, the armor of the KV-1S (the KV you get in the demo's "citadel" scenario) was, overall, a bit less than the KV-M42.

As a quick comparison, the armor on the Front/Side/Rear of the KV-1S was 82/82/82 (mm/side) with hull glacis armor of 75, whereas on the KV-M42 it was 120/120/90, with hull glacis of 110. Interestingly, tho, the earlier model KV-M41 had turret armor of 90/75/75 & hull glacis of 75 -- comparable to the KV-1S.

(figures from "Soviet Tanks and Combat Vehicles of WWII" by Zaloga/Garndsen)

Big difference between the demo situation and the situations you read about in Panzer Aces is that the Panzer IIIs in the demo have a much better 50mm gun than the one Bix was driving in 41. He had a Panzer IIIG or H with a 50L42 piece, while the Panzer IIIMs in the demo feature a 50L60 piece. In addition, they have access to tungsten ammo which Bix did not, dramatically increasing penetration. Not to mention the whole thin armor problem of the KV1S series.

When you do meet KVs with anything short of an 88mm in 41, you have a big issue to deal with.

WWB

Originally posted by wwb_99:

Big difference between the demo situation and the situations you read about in Panzer Aces is that the Panzer IIIs in the demo have a much better 50mm gun than the one Bix was driving in 41. He had a Panzer IIIG or H with a 50L42 piece, while the Panzer IIIMs in the demo feature a 50L60 piece. In addition, they have access to tungsten ammo which Bix did not, dramatically increasing penetration. Not to mention the whole thin armor problem of the KV1S series.

When you do meet KVs with anything short of an 88mm in 41, you have a big issue to deal with.

WWB

Was Bix in a III? I thought he was in a IV, but I guess I could be mistaken.

Edited due to UBB retardation.

[ September 11, 2002, 11:31 PM: Message edited by: panzerwerfer42 ]