Latest Nvidia drivers -- Good News, Bad News

First, the good news. The newest version 41.03 drivers seem to work fine with CMBB from my limited try this evening. No corrupted text or images that I noticed. Smooth video play. I have a GeF3 Ti500 running under WinXP.

These are the latest version of the faster Detonator drivers introduced last summer which had problems with CMBB. MadMatt said to stick with the 30.82 drivers when problems were noted with 40.72 drivers.

The bad news for me is that NONE of the Nvidia drivers issued this year will recognize my new Dell 1800FP LCD monitor (re-branded Samsung 181t) with DVI connection. The Falcon Northwest tech guy says they've had a few problems like this, but didn't have a solution other than to try every driver out there. I've tried all of them issued this year. No luck yet.

I got the new drivers at 3DGuru.

[ November 07, 2002, 06:53 PM: Message edited by: Lawyer ]

Originally posted by Loki:

What if you use the default microsoft driver in the device manager for your monitor? The specifics of the monitor shouldn't matter then. Of course shouldn't is the key word. :eek:

Yes, the monitor works on the default MS driver, but the quality is bad and CMBB won't run with it. So I'm stuck in computer upgrade hell.

Originally posted by Bruno Weiss:

If it is a plug n play monitor, I don't unnerstand why Winders doesn't just recognize a PnP monitor and load that driver?

WinXP will recognize and load it at default sub-par performance. But Nvidia's driver will not, so the gameplay features affecting resolution, picture quality, etc. are unavailable to me. I'm now running it analog, which is a big step backward.

Jesus guys this is VERY bad news. I have a 15" TFT and thankfully it runs ok, but to spend that sort of money on the 18" and to get the lack of support like that is quite frankly out of order. On the plus side, Nvidia seem to release driver updates every two weeks or so and as this is such a pressing issue I'm sure they will rectify it. I'm getting my 9700 Pro today, and I'll be without fog, but I'm going to live with it. Being able to play 1600x1200 6xFSAA smoothly, on my 22" crt will make all the difference.

Originally posted by Lawyer:

First, the good news. The newest version 41.03 drivers seem to work fine with CMBB from my limited try this evening. No corrupted text or images that I noticed. Smooth video play. I have a GeF3 Ti500 running under WinXP.

Hummm. I've tried them this morning, and after a bit of messing about they work. Nearly. I'm still getting the odd bit of missing text (eg. the password prompt in a PBEM), but other text seems OK. Can't say they seem much faster to me.

The bad news for me is that NONE of the Nvidia drivers issued this year will recognize my new Dell 1800FP LCD monitor (re-branded Samsung 181t) with DVI connection. The Falcon Northwest tech guy says they've had a few problems like this, but didn't have a solution other than to try every driver out there. I've tried all of them issued this year. No luck yet.

No problems with my SGI flat-panel via DVI (and boy have I had problems with that and NV drivers in the past!).

Hum,

I tried 40.72 lately, and CMBB ran OK with them ... but the PC hanged randomly on booting W98 2 times out of 3 (after a free 1-week works-OK period :eek: )

I went back to latest 30.xx and the boot problem disappeared .. smile.gif Not sure I'll try again those 4x drivers, as I suppose it won't enhance anything wioth my GeForce2 :(

Originally posted by Bruno Weiss:

dalem wrote:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Heck, you're a Lawyer, can't you just sue somebody?

Absolutely! As Jackie Chiles would say; I am shocked and shagrinned.....mortified and stupified.....this case is an outrage.</font>

I bought a Nivida Ti 4200 128 megs of ram and enjoy it very much.

I have to use powerstrip to increase the gamma. Perhaps, the new Nividia drivers fix the problem.

I will wait until I hear what others have to say about the new Nivida drivers.

Originally posted by Lawyer:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Bruno Weiss:

dalem wrote:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Heck, you're a Lawyer, can't you just sue somebody?

Absolutely! As Jackie Chiles would say; I am shocked and shagrinned.....mortified and stupified.....this case is an outrage.</font>

stay away from the 40 series drivers, they are not certified for one thing, and they are buggy. I tried them on 3 machines, AMD chipset,and 2 VIA chipset machines. The AMD chipset had a Gef3 and 1 of the VIAs had a gef3 and the other gef4. On each machine they were buggy, on the gef2 more then the others. I played several differnt games on them, (medal of honor,cossacks, empire earth), had issues with the graphics and boot probs. Now your probably going to say,"well give us the exact specs of each machine, it may run differnt on mine", well, all I can write is this. It really doesn't matter, because if the drivers were so buggy on these systems (each machine having the same issues but some differnt ones as well), what kind of bugs are you going to run into?? Also the driver is around 9mb of download, if your on a 56k it'll take a while. hope this helps on the question with the new drivers.

As I mentioned in a previous thread, I have an NEC 19" LCD running on a Geforce 4 with no problems, so maybe a new card would do the trick. My only complaint about LCD's is the poorer quality display at lower than the native resolution. But overall, I like my LCD better than the 22" CRT I had.