Testers-Designers - Its give and Take

You will find, as I have found that there are always more designers than testers. Testing scenarios requires a special kind of guy.

I compare him to the lineman on a football team. He does the dirty work and the quarterback gets the headlines.

So testers are a special breed, and essential to a successful scenario.

I thank God for every tester on the CM team. Those are the guys who really make it happen!

May I make a suggestion to all of you seeking testers? Do some testing for someone else. Trade off.

"I'll test yours, you test mine." Get your hands dirty. Testing is a great experience. You learn from it.

During my time here at CM leading the Design Test team, I tested scenarios too. I made sure that for every scenario I designed, I tested two.

Some of the other designers did the same (Not all, I fear!). But the ones that did ended up doing better on their own scenarios by the learning process.

It works better that way. So find someone on this forum who is looking for testers. Write him.

Agree to swap scenarios and test for one another. You might get some good results and it will be a most rewarding experience.

By seeing how to improve another's scenarios, you'll learn more about improving your own.

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester/Designer

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com

Guest ACTOR

Wild Bill I will gladly test any and all scenarios you send my way. I guess that makes me a rare breed. cool.gif

I'll gladly test as well. I also have a few scenarios in the works that will need testing shortly. smile.gif

------------------

"It's a hardball world son. We've got to keep our heads until this peace craze blows over."

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stefan:

Although not a frequent talker - I do play my fair share of games - so if you need another tester Wild Bill, send some my way. I on the other hand, may be a bit slower in sending you some testers... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think not! Stefan keeps bugging me about PBEM files, the most common e-mail I get from him is (capitalization is his):

WHERE ARE MY FILES??

Sheesh. Wild Wild Bill, you can throw all you want at him, he spends his whole days on the computer.

biggrin.gif

He is a good player too, we reached a stalemate in VoT and CE in the demo. He got his copy of the game today, so I guess I won't be getting MY PBEM files as often... smile.gif

Guest Seimerst

I'd be pleased to test any and all scenarios.

E-mail: 72053.726@compuserve.com

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wild Bill Wilder:

Nice recommendation, Pat. I'm getting ready to put him to the test biggrin.gif

Ready, Stefan?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wild Bill - I am ready

Pat is a bit extreme but I do like to shake him up a bit and pester him about PBEMs. Now on CE and VoT, My analysis of the situation is quite different. Stalemate....not! Lets just say, I am taking him apart, unit by unit biggrin.gif

------------------

No battle plan survives first contact with the enemy