CM:BB and Nvidia Detonator 40 drivers don't mix

I didn't know if this should be posted in the Tech forum or not. It isn't a tech problem (yet) but more a warning.

On a lark, I downloaded and installed the new Detonator 40 drivers for Windows 2000/XP at work on Friday. This is also where I downloaded the CM:BB demo (fast connection plus being the admin are good things sometimes :D ).

Anyway, I tried the demo on my machine at work with the Detonator 40 drivers installed. With any anti-aliasing set, the scenario list comes up blank. Seems to be a similar issue to what was occurring with Windows 2000/XP and CM:BO until Nvidia got something right (finally). Seems they got it wrong again. :(

This is not an issue for me as I'm using Windows ME or 2000 Server at home without the Detonator 40 drivers installed. 4x anti-aliasing is working just fine.

So for anyone thinking of downloading and installing the new Detonator 40 drivers, stay away for now.

Forgot to add some specs: I'm using a Dell P3 866 running Windows 2000 Pro SP3 (plus latest updates) with a VisionTek Geforce4 MX (64MB).

[ September 01, 2002, 01:12 AM: Message edited by: sitzkrieg ]

It's always a good idea to check the tech support board here before downloading new video drivers, let sombody else be the guinea pig smile.gif . There''s been a thread over there about this for a week and Matt mentioned that there was a problem with the new drivers and CM:BB.

Crew Crash

When I originally encountered the crash I had 4x FSAA turned on, 27.5 detonator drivers. Newer drivers did not help. I rolled back the drivers as the recent ones cause severe slowdowns for me in Morrowind.

This morning I started a new Citadel game with FSAA off, let a MkIII get KO'd and checked the crew. Graphics were normal and no crash when selected.

Could it be related to AA? Although I haven't encountered text problems in CMBO or the CMBB demo in both games forcing AA leads to some color changes around the borders of the screen. When I ran CMBO on my 98SE machine I never encountered the changes with AA on.

Current specs: XP Home, AthlonXP 2000+, 1GB DDR RAM, Geforce4 Ti4600

Originally posted by Lawyer:

AARRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

I just downloaded and installed the Nvidia 40.41 driver yesterday. I went through this crap last November when CM wouldn't work with WinXP.

Next time I'm getting a Matrox card.

Uninstall and back out to the 30.xx series. The last one's work fine with CM and FSAA. Just don't go forward until Nvidia fixes what they broke again.