Gridded CMBB Terrain!!!

Okay, things were getting a bit messy in the other thread so I've created this one. Everything's been uploaded and ready for download. There are four files to the set.

Image4.jpg

Image5.jpg

Image6.jpg

High Resolution (30.8mb)

Hosted by Panzer Boxb:

Grass (10mb)

Snow Set 1 (4.7mb)

Snow Set 2 (6.5mb)

Steppe (9.7)

Grass

Snow Set 1

Snow Set 2

Steppe

Hosted by GJK:

Grass

Snow Set 1

Snow Set 2

Steppe

Low Resolution (these sites have limited bandwidth, so if one's temporarily down try the other)

Link 1 (8mb total)

Link 2

Thanks to Panzer Boxb and GJK for offering to host this mess smile.gif

[ September 27, 2002, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: Captain Wacky ]

Guest Panzer Boxb
Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

Nice! Man, I wish we had a CMMOS to switch back and forth. After all, I don't want my opponents to know I use such gamey play-aids when I post screenshots!

Just create a quick batch file/script to swap them out until CMMOS for CMBB is released.

Oh, and we really need a forum exclusively for mods. :D

Guest Panzer Boxb

Could you please make this obscure machination some call by the name of "batch file/script?"

Yes, but it would cost you.

Originally posted by fiftymicrolitres:

Could you do hexes, pretty please?

thanks

5m

Sorry, but I don't think it can be done due to the way CM repeats grass tiles, or at least it can't be done the ways I tried. Maybe someone else can give it a shot.

[ September 28, 2002, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: Captain Wacky ]

Originally posted by Captain Wacky:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by fiftymicrolitres:

Could you do hexes, pretty please?

thanks

5m

Sorry, but I don't think it can be done due to the way CM repeats grass tiles, or at least it can't be done the ways I tried. Maybe someone else can give it a shot.</font>

Guest Panzer Boxb

Hey I thought you were making me a batch file/thingie?

Still waiting for the deposit to show up in my Swiss bank account.

Guest Panzer Boxb
Originally posted by Carl Deppen:

Hi,

What's the difference between high and low resolution?

The the difference is the size of the texture and therefore the quality. A high-res texture looks less "grainy" or pixelated.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Captain Wacky-

I really appreciate your efforts, but I was wondering if you could make some grids that were a bit more subtle? Let me explain what I mean...

Back in CMBO, there was a mod called "Velvet Grass" that just rocked. Each tile had all kinds of different colored pixels on it with the result that the ground looked to be covered with very realistic, tiny 3D-looking moguls and stuff.

Then somebody made a gridded version of it by simply erasing very thin stripes of these multi-colored pixels leaving the original, plain green showing. And he did these stripes through the center of the tiles instead of around the edges, so you dind't get a double width of grid line at the tile boundaries. This was simply superb.

The overall effect was the best of both worlds. If you looked at the map while zoomed out, the gridlines were invisible unless you wanted to see them. And even when you were zoomed in, they weren't obtrusive and you could choose not to register them if you didn't want to.

Do you think you're up to making something like that?

Originally posted by Bullethead:

Captain Wacky-

I really appreciate your efforts, but I was wondering if you could make some grids that were a bit more subtle? Let me explain what I mean...

Back in CMBO, there was a mod called "Velvet Grass" that just rocked. Each tile had all kinds of different colored pixels on it with the result that the ground looked to be covered with very realistic, tiny 3D-looking moguls and stuff.

Then somebody made a gridded version of it by simply erasing very thin stripes of these multi-colored pixels leaving the original, plain green showing. And he did these stripes through the center of the tiles instead of around the edges, so you dind't get a double width of grid line at the tile boundaries. This was simply superb.

The overall effect was the best of both worlds. If you looked at the map while zoomed out, the gridlines were invisible unless you wanted to see them. And even when you were zoomed in, they weren't obtrusive and you could choose not to register them if you didn't want to.

Do you think you're up to making something like that?

I don't think it would be too hard. I'm not all that familiar with fooling around with textures and have no artistic ability, but I could easily make the grid lines more transparent. They are simply a layer on top of the normal grass tile and transparency can be adjusted easily. I think that's what you are asking about.