Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Serious Recurring Problem

OK, I have posted this before, a few months ago, but it seems the problem is recurring. My proccessor continues to heat up until it hits 160' F and then the computer automatically shuts down. It used to only do this while playing CM, and I reformatted and installed a case fan, thinking the problem was solved.

Well, it's come back. Now, the computer will occaisionally heat up to dangerous levels for no apparent reason and shut down. A few hours ago, the weekly virus-scanner (PC-cillin) kicked in, and that caused it to overheat!

System:

Athlon 1.4 T-Bird(not XP)

Shuttle AK31 MB

300 watt powersupply

256 MB DDR Ram (266mhz)

20 GB HD, 7200 RPM (ATA 100)

32MB TNT2 G-Card

Windows ME

Using a utility called SiSoft, I can monitor the temp, and it used to hover between 110' - 120', but lateley, it averages at 137' Farenheit. I am losing my mind because this system (which was upgraded from a 900 T-Bird) is fairly new and I have little money to "experiment" on cures.

What could possibly cause the high temperatures? I thought it must be the TNT2 at first, but now it heats up running non-graphical programs?!?! I am pulling my hair out here, and losing hope..

Please help, give advice, or tell me where I might search for answers to this problem that has plagued me through 2 processors and countless re-formats. I am so sad, and playing ANY games is becoming both impossible and dangerous...

Maybe your heatsink/fan on the CPU isn't doing the job that it should. Do you have thermal paste or some other thermal conductor rather than just the metal surface of the heatsink contacting the face of the CPU ?

Do you have the option to turn off the thermal monitor in your BIOS (and in turn the thermal shutdown) ? It's possible that the monitor isn't doing a very good job and may be reporting the temperature inaccurately (too high in this case). Simple aging (including heating and cooling) of the circuitry involved with temperature monitoring could affect the readings you're getting.

Make sure the heatsink is still firmly fastened with the clip doohicky. Thermal paste is a must for Athlon processors, too. If you do remove the heatsink, in order to reseat it or whatever, make sure the little temperature probe is sticking up. It should touch the bottom of the CPU, or at least be very close. A little thermal paste on it (to more acurately reflect actual temp) doesn't hurt.

If your system overheated, it might have melted out the thermal paste, so the heatsink isn't really in contact with the CPU any longer. It must be firmly in contact, not resting on the edge of the socket.

Moving the unit may have also jogged it loose. Check the heatsink first, and then make sure the CPU fan is working.

Hmm, all good suggestions. I am very leery about messing with the CPU itself except as a last resort, as the warranty has expired and I am afraid of damaging it with my club-like hands. Maybe I should have someone look at it.

As for the possibility of inaccuracy, that could be. It must work because when I turn on the computer it is low (below 100'F) and after booting CM, I can espace to the desktop and watch the temperature steadily climb. And while at the desktop, with CM minimized, the temperature will begin to decline again. However, the thermometer could be dis-adjusted so as to give too high readings. I would hate to disable it in the BIOS, as it could have been telling the truth and cause a meltdown.

Is it possible that too many programs running could keep the proccessor chugging on overtime? Their is a bunch of minor programs running in the background, but having a 1.4 gig, I figured the computer could handle it.

The other thing that is puzzling is that this began happening with my 900 T-bird.

And one more puzzling fact: When I reformat, the problem goes away for weeks or months.

What the hell? Do I need to have someone look at it? Oh, incidentally, when I took it in the last time, it worked perfectly for the three straight days the tech had it. After taking it home, the problem recurred and that is when the tech said it was probably a bad motherboard and gave me a new MB and the 1.4 T-bird. Now it is starting again.

I have a 1.4 AMD as well. When the room temp went up this spring the temp alarm went off. It has worked good as a room heater all winter smile.gif I had to take the case out from under the desk and set it on top to get better cooling. If worse comes to worse I'll take the side off and put a fan blowing into it. Till I get the window air conditioner put in anyways smile.gif

lee