Anyone running CMBB on an older PC?

I beta-tested CMBB on a P2 400, 256MB ram, 8MB TNT Vanta.

Bear in mind that the beta code was about 25% slower due to debub code.

Graphics were downsampled (to about 800x600 equivilant, from 1024x768), and turn generation for games over about 2000 pts was real slow; otherwise it coped fine, if you don't mind jerky rotation,(horizon 1000m, trees moderate, doodads off, ambient sounds off)

Changing my video card to a GeForce 2 MX400 64 MB tripled the frame rate without any downsampling (horizon max, trees extreme, doodads extreme, ambient sounds off.)

2000 pt limit unchanged.

I'm running a 333 w/128meg RAM and 16mb graphics card and everything looks ok but it does take a long time to calculate the turns.

My machine is only 3 years old and it's already time for it to retire to jurrasic park.

Originally posted by David Stone:

Is anyone running the CMBB Demo on a sub-spec PC?

I have a PII 350 with an 8 meg video card. I haven't downloaded the Demo b/c I reason it is hopeless.

I'm running the demo on a PII 300 with 480MB RAM and a 32MB graphics card. Turn calculation is slow because of the processor, but everything else is OK. I'll upgrade whenI can, but at least I can play the smaller scenarios.

If you beef up your graphics card and add some memory, you should be OK.

Yes. Do consider upgrading that video card, 'tho; the high resolution textures will appreciate it. ;)

My box is a 4yr-old PII 450MHz, SE440BX mobo (so AGP 1.0), w/ 384MB RAM (not sure how much matters) and a GF2MX400/64MB running W2K Pro, SP2.

Even with that setup, my difficulties w/ the CMBB demo come far more from inexperience with armor-only or conscript-heavy forces, instead of any performance issues.

Originally posted by Mud:

[My box is a 4yr-old PII 450MHz, SE440BX mobo (so AGP 1.0), w/ 384MB RAM (not sure how much matters) and a GF2MX400/64MB running W2K Pro, SP2.

Mud:

I've got a PIII-500 box with that mobo (Intel 440BX -- hence, AGP 1.0), but I have a GF2-GTS(32MB) onboard (WinME, 512MB ram, DirectX 8.1). I was thinking of upgrading my card to a GF4-MX440 variant which I hear might give me a bit more graphics power. However, I worry about the AGP1.0 thing causing me problems. Are you in the same boat?

I'm not too concerned over it since I've been playing the CMBB demo and it's been pretty smooth; it get a bit choppy scrolling in the Medium-sized scenario with the graphics set to high, though. I'd like to alleviate it if possible. Any input is always appreciated. smile.gif

Well, there's the AGP 1.0 limit which means that I wouldn't get that much bandwidth, if memory serves, but the other reasons I held back from anything more than the GF2MX400 were (a) a suspicion that the old CPU would mean that I might not get much more out of a faster card, (B) cost -- it's such an old machine that it might double (or more) in value given, say, a GF4 Ti4600, while an MX400 was rather cheap © I don't play that much 3D (at the time, only Shogun:TW and CM:BO; I've dropped Shogun:TW and added Rogue Spear).

I don't know how much better a PIII 500MHz is vs a PII 450, not having used 'em or ever studied them for a possible purchase. Schullencraft could probably tell you more.

I was wondering just how okd a machine you could run CMBB on and one of my customers has a P233, it ran on it!! slow and chunky but it did run,but thanks to Battlefront, he wants a faster machine for himself and his two sons to run the game on thanks to the game developers, I'll make some cash and so will they, thanks agian guys

I have a PIII 450 with a GeForce MX400 64 MB video card. The motherboard I have only has AGP 1.0, but the CMBB demo runs fairly smooth at 800x600 resolution.

The good part is I'm forewarned of any heavy enemy action when the turn calculations take a little longer.

...not that I can do anything about it when the game is playing out the turn...