I would like to here how you guys are using cover arc.

Originally posted by Shatter:

I am having trouble using them effectively.

Now I wish I would have read more of the post on the covered arcs.

So can you guys give me some tips on how you are using them.

Thanks

I use it in conjuction with Hide.

You want a weapon, tank, platoon etc to only fire on a certain spot. Geometrically, you don't want a unit to fire within it's entire range of vision. Sometimes you want them to only fire say within 100 meters and only approx 30 degrees left to right.

That's how I use the arc. It's like a fancy Ambush command.

And remember: you can use the 'covered arc' command also for your tanks.

You can now set a sector for the tank to observe while moving. Lets say you want to move your tank right forward but you also want it to give some attention to a patch of woods at 9 o'clock to provide some flank cover for the rest of your tanks. Simply draw a covered arc around that position and they will concentrate on that sector (and move the turret in that direction). Great for overwatch on the move.

Or you know there's tank right behind that slope in front of you and you really don't want your tank to engage the panicked, half-dead HMG right behind you when the enemy tank reappears? Just use the covered arc.

No more tanks advancing towards the enemy with their turrets pointing back...

"Sandy, look what I got here!"

"No, a COVERED ARC, Mr.Para!"

"Yes, Sandy, a COVERED ARC! And not an ordinary COVERED ARC, no, it can be used against soft targets and armour, too!"

"No, Mr.Para! That's amazing!"

"Yes, Sandy, it is."

"My god, my husband will LOVE it!"

"Yes, Sandy, he will! And all your neigbours will envy you. So get yours before they do!

"It's so cute, Mr.Para! But I'm sure it's expensive, isn't it?"

"No at all, Sandy. This covered arc for SOFT and ARMOURED targets together with human wave and a bataillon of russian conscipts you can get for only 49$!"

"49$? But, but that's even cheaper than a LAWNMOWER!"

"Yes, Sandy, cheaper than a...lawnmower."

"You're so wonderful, Mr.Para."

"Yes I am, meet me in my wardrobe in 15 minutes."

"Yes, Mr.Para, thank you."

Originally posted by Shatter:

I am having trouble using them effectively.

So can you guys give me some tips on how you are using them.

Thanks

SPOILER ALERT

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

I've just finished Citadel twice (once each side) and used covered arcs in the following ways:

German

1. To provide overwatch. I moved the Mk IV platoon up onto the first rise and went hull down (love that command). I then used the Covered Arc (CA) command to allocate engagement areas for the five tanks. Two on the left the left hand ridge and two on the right the right hand ridge (both objectives for the Mk III platoons) The inner vehicle CA's interlocked near the road. The Pl Ldr was given an arc that covered both ridges (and luckily the centre road sector).

As the two Mk III platoons broke cover using a combination of "fast" and "hunt" and headed for their respective objectives, the Mk IV's provided covering fire. They were able to engage the 45mm ATG's and the KVI's (nasty surprise) when they appeared much faster than if they just sat there. I think the combination of CA and better optics made the suppression of these targets and the move itself possible.

2. Within the Mk III platoons each vehicle was given a CA as well (Extreme left 8 to 12, Inner left 9 to 1, Pl Ldr 10 to 2, Inner right 11 to 3, Extreme right 12 to 4). That way when the 45's did fire there was usually 2 MkIII's and a MkIV (see above) returning the fire.

Russian

Each 45mm gun was given a CA that interlocked and prevented them from engaging too early. That way the PAK fronts achieved:

a) overlapping coverage of the engagement area

B) ensured engagements happened at ranges where hits were likely and didn't break concealment too early.

c) Flanking fire was maximised.

Between this and the KV-I's "shooting and scooting" the Germans were given a very bloody nose indeed.

[ September 02, 2002, 08:21 PM: Message edited by: gibsonm ]

Originally posted by ParaBellum:

And remember: you can use the 'covered arc' command also for your tanks.

You can now set a sector for the tank to observe while moving. Lets say you want to move your tank right forward but you also want it to give some attention to a patch of woods at 9 o'clock to provide some flank cover for the rest of your tanks. Simply draw a covered arc around that position and they will concentrate on that sector (and move the turret in that direction). Great for overwatch on the move.

Or you know there's tank right behind that slope in front of you and you really don't want your tank to engage the panicked, half-dead HMG right behind you when the enemy tank reappears? Just use the covered arc.

No more tanks advancing towards the enemy with their turrets pointing back...

Thats freakin awesome, I used it with armor just as you suggested. This is so damn cool, now my Armor will engage at only the direction I want. None of that crap like blasting away at a depleted squad when enemy armor is targeting me on my flank.

WOOHOO BTS YOU ROCK!!!

hehe spoiled goods:

In Yalina Stare as German I am using to some degree of success with the AT guns, MGs and 50 mm mortars of the Germans....normally get at least a marginal tactical with the Germans that way. I set the arcs up similar to what the others have..a a range that will maximaize damge and overlap between them.

NO Spoilers Alert!

Well, that really reminds me of the days of Harpoon/II/III. You dedicate a sector of where a unit should pay attention to. From my little experiment with the Tutorial, it works well with support weapons too -- so long as they are not moving.

I wish many new, and good stuff could go back to CM:BO, but I know, I know it is not going to happen until CM2.

Regards.

I too used the covered arc technique with the German tanks on the move.

This also allowed for more realistic tactics. In other words, when tank platoons travel to contact, each is given (by doctrine or assignment) a field of fire. The covered arc command does simulate this. Also, it works in conjunction with the "Hunt" command.

Originally posted by Molotov:

is there a way to change the degrees of the covered arc? all i can get is the 180 degree cover arc. thanks

Select the "cover arc" command, move your mouse pointer to the first point where you want the arc begins, and you should see a light green line extended from the selected unit. Click. And then move the mouse pointer to the second point and while you are moving, you should see a sector forming. Click again to the point where you want the arc ends. That is! Mind you, the arc "moves" along with your unit. AFAIK, the arc disappears when your unit paniks or moved out of LOS.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by Molotov:

is there a way to change the degrees of the covered arc? all i can get is the 180 degree cover arc. thanks

Note the text when you go to assign a covered arc, holding down control means "Make a 180 degree arc" while holding down shift means "Make the biggest arc you can". Likely either you're accidently holding down control, or you've got some funky mouse button assignments smile.gif