a very silly but important question about processors

I do not agree that one should spread that information.

There are way too many factors involved.

Is an 8 cylinder car twice as fast as a 4 cylinder car???

If he is not computer savvy, the least we can do is make sure he understands that you cant just compare numbers.

jonp

Originally posted by jonp:

Is an 8 cylinder car twice as fast as a 4 cylinder car???

Maybe not - but is a car that's going 120mph three times faster than a car going 40mph?

Of course it is.

A 1.5 GHz processor is capable of performing three times more calculations per second than a 500MHz chip. How the software utilizes that extra power may vary, but the raw data is correct. smile.gif

No, it's not... architectural issues interfere, such as the number of instructions that regularly gets executed simultaneously and how much each instruction can accomplish. Compare the PowerPC architecture with the Pentium 4 or a McKinley... or, for that matter, the Pentium 4 with the original Pentium. Benchmarking in the general case is not terribly meaningful, hence the focus on specific applications. Then, you've got to take into account bottlenecks in the rest of the system e.g. a 2.8GHz PIV w/ an ancient Riva TNT w/ 16MB card, a mere 128MB SDRAM, and a slow drive might have more trouble in CMBB than a 1.6GHz PIII w/ a 128MB GF4 Ti4600, 512MB RDRAM and a RAID 5 array of 10K RPM SCSI disks. Both, however, might deliver near-identical performance in the first Doom...

I won't dispute that - I was speaking solely of the processor itself. I mean, that's how they are rated, right? Cycles per second - on/off, 1/0, however you slice it.

I will agree that the "rated speed" and the practical gain in performance are not necessarily equal.

I also think anyone who uses old hardware like that with a P4 2.8 probably deserves to be flogged :D