Would someone do me a huge favor and walk me

through the process of a TCP/IP game?? It seems very complicated. You would like to move up and take on some human opponets! I

have an 866mhz with 128ram, so I believe I can host games. I'm in the process of up grading my video card as well - so bring it on!!

Thanks in advance, Kurt :cool:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WARHAMMER:

Would someone do me a huge favor and walk me

through the process of a TCP/IP game??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you still there Kurt? I'll do it...

Respond here...I'll wait around 15 minutes.

--Rett

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WARHAMMER:

Would someone do me a huge favor and walk me through the process of a TCP/IP game??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

just incase someone else is wondering, here you go:

1-find a opponet! you can post here, HOTMAIL, email or whatever! just decide what you want to play (QB, scenario, OP, whatever . . .), and set the parameters.

also pick who will host it. the person with the fastest connection is the best (cable over modem).

2-the host needs to be online, boot up CM, and click on the QB, scenario, OP they want to play and get it all set up. if its a QB, just please let the other person know what the parameters are, its curtisy smile.gif. when you are prompted to choose how you want to play, choose "TCP/IP" game.

3-host exit CM, but dont close it (press Esc.) check to see what your IP address is. for most people this can be done by clicking START (windows), RUN, and then typing "winipcfg". this will give you your IP address.

4-give your IP address to your opponet over the internet and he will join in through selecting "join multiplayer" and then "TCP/IP" game. just type in the IP address of the host and there you go!

you can talk to each other in the game by press either "`/~" or "0".

enjoy! its so much funner than PBEM games! instant gratification or humiliation!

Chad, that was a good post. I have a couple of questions though.

1. Why do you say the guy with the fastest connection should host?

2. Why use winipcfg to get your IP address? The game gives it to you. I've hosted quite a few TCP/IP games and CM has never given me an incorrect IP address or anything.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Subvet:

Chad, that was a good post. I have a couple of questions though.

1. Why do you say the guy with the fastest connection should host?

2. Why use winipcfg to get your IP address? The game gives it to you. I've hosted quite a few TCP/IP games and CM has never given me an incorrect IP address or anything.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ha! look at me, i do everything the hard way. i have a slower computer (celeron, 128mb ram, 56k) and so i have NEVER hosted! i just always used that way for other games i played online.

i said the person with the fastest connection because doesnt that help to download each turn faster from the host? from my observation when a faster computer hosts, the BIG turns go faster. please correct my logic if im incorrect (it wouldnt be the first time).

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chad Harrison:

i said the person with the fastest connection because doesnt that help to download each turn faster from the host? from my observation when a faster computer hosts, the BIG turns go faster. please correct my logic if im incorrect (it wouldnt be the first time).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong here. I'm pretty sure that CM determines which player has the faster computer. The faster computer will then be the one used to "number crunch" the turn. I think being the "host" just means that you are the one to set up the parameters. Once the game is underway the faster computer will be the one that uploads each turn to the slower computer. Connection speed isn't a factor in this as far as I know.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JasonC:

What if you have a dynamic IP address, instead of a static one? Does the other fellow need to host then? Will that work? Is there any way to host if you have a dynamic IP address?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As far as I know, a dynamic IP address just means that each time you connect you have a chance of getting any unused IP address from a range of IP addresses. It doesn't mean that your IP address is constantly changing during a typical CM game. Most people have dynamic IP addresses. So yes, you can certainly host if you have a dynamic IP address. If you had to stop playing for the day, and then start up on another day your IP address might change. But it doesn't matter, since CM will show you your new one and the other player has to type in the IP address again anyway (or approve the last one used) if you have to restart CM.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Subvet:

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong here. I'm pretty sure that CM determines which player has the faster computer. The faster computer will then be the one used to "number crunch" the turn. I think being the "host" just means that you are the one to set up the parameters. Once the game is underway the faster computer will be the one that uploads each turn to the slower computer. Connection speed isn't a factor in this as far as I know.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I THINK it has something to do with who hits 'Go' first. Like if you hit go first it gets crunched you your system.