COMBAT MISSIONS: Unit Tactics-M3/M3A1 Halftrack

For those that aren't aware - i am attempting (attempting is the right word!) to compile a web-based dossier on the tactical usage of the units that can be found in CMBO.

While countless historical documents, accounts and statistics exist on these units, i would like to get away from all that (as important as it no doubt is) and concentrate more on how these units perform within CM itself. BTS have (as closely as possible) made them as historically accurate as they can be anyway....so - How good are they at the role they are supposed to fulfill?. How do YOU make them "tick" within the game?. What tactics work with them....what don't.

Again, any and all feedback is much appreciated.

btw - The Hetzer will be posted on the site shortly.

TIA

------------------

COMBAT MISSIONS - CM News, Supplies & Resources

WWW.COMBATMISSIONS.CO.UK

Halftracks historically were not a very useful weapon. IIRC the US halted production of all halftrack models after 1944 and has never looked back.

That said, they're useful as infantry movers as long as they don't get shot at by anything more imposing than a Mauser. Also, 150 rounds of .50 Browning goodness can be a huge asset. Mobile fire support is always handy.

------------------

Soy super bien soy super super bien soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super

I agree with B&P, I use them to move troops to key terrain positions. There are great mobile fire support teams. I used 2 of the m3a1 to repel a CA on one of my weak flanks.

Keep away (250m) from all unoccupied opposition, when your INF are keeping the other guys INF busy bring them in at about 150m & watch the enemy's troops crumbly.

------------------

"Far better it is

To dare mighty things...

Then to take rank with

Those poor, timid spirits

Who know neither

Victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt 1899

In my experience they make handy bonfires for the men during winter operations, since mine have a tendency to combust spontaneously whenever they get within, oh, about 1000 meters of the enemy.

Since most of my fights are on small to medium maps, I don't use HT's much for recon; grunts work better. I keep the HT's mostly hidden and then bring 'em up for the endgame, when having a mobile .50 can make a more significant difference. Still, they are about as bulletproof as a refrigerator carton, so you don't want to get too attached to the damned things.

------------------

"War does not determine who is right - only who is left."

-Bertrand Russell

Instead of fielding three M3A1's the Brits can use a combination of 2 M5A1's and a Ram Kangaroo.

The M5A1 has 8mm of armour (compared to 7mm for the M3A1 - that extra 1mm seems to make a big difference) and sports the standard 30 Cal and 50 Cal MG's. While two of them supress Fritz from 250m, the Ram moves up and dumps its cargo (usually a pioneer squad and a flamethrower). Hopefully the flamethrower can turn Fritz into Bubble 'n' Squeak, at which time you can bring up the M5A1's with the remaining Pioneer squad and the HQ.