Mr Wittman operation?

Hi

Thanks for that post Ray, now I'm REALLY curious ( have not got my game yet)

Can some one tell what is the name of the operation that Mr. Wittman is featured in, (as pee Ray's post) that should be the FIRST thing I want to check out....

thanks

-tom w

"MantaRay

posted 06-21-2000 03:42 AM

I think i know that scenario too. I actually got a Sherman in that ambush, but lets just say that the white stuff was just a bit red after those pissed Americans got through with

them!!!

Well now on to round 3 of a very tough Operation involving Mr Wittman.

Ray"

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> "Have you thanked BTS by buying your SECOND copy of CM yet?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SPOILER below

Playing this operation right now. 'villiers bocage' Sp?

I was curious to other peoples results I am in battle two. and had a question about the troops I recieved between battle 1 and 2

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

Battle one:

5 tigers + some infantry

I used the inf as spotters to keep an eye on what all that armor around the village was doing. I also split the squad and the half

with the faust waited in ambush at a crossroads. He eventually got a firefly woohoo. But, died for his efforts

The 3 tigers in the back wasted all the armor save one cromwell then two went off towards the vilage down the the dirt road to the right. The last one got hull down and held the rear wasting a bunch more tanks until a firefly got him

Wittman and hi pal did not have good first shot luck missed most everything. But they just sat on the road and blasted everything that tried to move. croms 1/2 tracks infan crew etc. Eventually my inf reported all the tanks headed toward city guess they decieded advancing up the road was hopeless. I was afraid of asaulting infan and it seemed that more reinforcements were comming at my back down the road were my rear guard lay dead. So Wittman and pal turned around and headed away from town to eliminate the reinforcements. He did, I think it was a firefly and some croms.

The AI massed like 20 vehicles in the town near the bocage, just a massive traffic jam. seemed silly. also his fireflys hung out in town a long time before trying to engange maybe they were held on some sort of 'release' schedule

overall I thought the AI did a poor job I lost two tanks and wasted like 4 fireflies and 10+ others plus lots of support vehicles.

Battle two:

Wow did I get a lot of forces.

Does this mean I suck since I read in the manual that you get more reserves if you are doing poorly. I lost 2/5 of my force but they were late in the battle and killed alot in return.

my spotters have fled the city frown.gif

first off wittman wastes a crom + carrier on the asphalt road. I am creeping slowly up 3 approached with one reserve along the road to the far left.

Using infan to scout. Man am I going too slow were is everyone. Finnaly around turn 7 or so I encounter some enemy tanks at range plus a crom and some support vehicles trying to lay an ambush, silly brits ambushing is for stugs, which I began to waste 2 stewarts 2 croms 1/2 and carrier I lost one squad in a 10m fight with a cromwell hidden behind bocage, ouch. there is a firefly that I can see but no LOS which is worrying me.

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

[This message has been edited by forgotmypassword (edited 06-21-2000).]

Guest MantaRay

Man, that was cold to post a spoiler! Poor Tom, I hope you didn't read that one.

Wild Bill certainly has Wittman on the brain, and his fans will not be disappointed! I'll just say, I know why Germany lost the war! smile.gif

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

MantaRays 5 Pages

Hardcore Gamers Daily

Guest grunto

tom i don't mind your post. i like spoilers. it's all i have until i get the game. i can't wait to play that wittman scenario. i wonder if the ai could play as the germans very well. it sure would be something to have 14 tanks and some halftracks and whatnot as the allies. do they get any nice offboard? 203s perhaps? naval guns?

a tiger I platoon with supporting infantry - a good/lucky player could do a lot of damage with that.

it seems that across most scenarios with the general composition of the german forces they're good for attack even when they're outnumbered.

***stuart alert***

a stuart isn't so good against a tiger I. it's got a chance in flanking a panther or most other vehicles though. do the 'brits' have any light tanks or armored cars in this battle? bren carriers with machineguns?

i've got this thing about stuarts, probably for the same reason another poster here mentioned - the 'haunted tank' comic book from the '70s.

***end stuart alert***

anyhow, wasn't wittman assumed to have died in a massive artillery barrage in the actual real-life battle?

if memory serves that's what carrel wrote in his - attack! they're coming - book about normandy.

andy

Guest MantaRay

Well grunto, there are more than just Stuarts in this battle, and tonight I got an 86-14 victory as the Germans and no, Wittmann didn't make it.

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

MantaRays 5 Pages

Hardcore Gamers Daily

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>i've got this thing about stuarts, probably for the same reason another poster here

mentioned - the 'haunted tank' comic book from the '70s. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL!Remember when the crew was outfitted with a Sherman,and J.E.B. got all ticked off?He ended up coming back,of course.That was a great comic book-still got a lot of those someplace.

Mike

You are right, Ray! The battle is one that begs for some sort of recreation in this game.

Either the operation or the scenario offers a unique opportunity to get the feel of a Tiger in battle against unusual odds.

Both were included so as to provide the battle for those who only play scenarios and those who like the longer operations.

I did another on Sgt Barkmann, in fact two of them. One is one the CD. The other will be eventually offered on Madmatts CMHQ scenario center, or the Boots N' Tracks section of the Raider page.

There is a real live US tanker that was honored with his own scenario. Since doing that one and having had it published on CMHQ, I have heard from Sgt. Pool's cousin. Sgt Pool's widow is alive and well.

One member of the crew of "In the Mood" is still living, his gunner, Mr. Bertram Close.

Fascinating when you meet those who knew these heroes personally.

Wild Bill

Wild Bill

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester/Designer

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com

Howdy all and thanks for the comments on the VB op. Many helped with that and there were many iterations of the VB operation and scenarios that went around with the testers each building on the last.

RE: Wittmann and Villers Bocage, no he did not die in that battle but in one shortly afterwards.his tank was knocked out and he fled on foot 5 miles to division HQ to let them know that there was a British Brigade in VB. he returned later in the day for the counter attack.

Anyway cheers...

Los

Guest MantaRay

LOS, He died in my battle though. smile.gif Infact there were 2 Wittmann's and well, the second one died also. But this scenario is no cakewalk for the Tigers, and the AI has taught me a trick to deal with them. I am even thinking of putting together a modified map and putting some other stuff in it. Hope Bill doesn't mind.

Ray

Remember guys, there are two Wittmann contributions to the game. One is a scenario; the other is an operation.

For those who want to fight the battle and move on, you can play my Wittmann scenario.

For those who want part II of the battle, I recommend the operation by Los. It is an excellent operation. For those who like linked battles, I recommend it.

So as Ray says, there are two Wittmans. smile.gif

And Ray, or any of you, please feel free to take the scenarios I have done, fix them up like you want. Clear the units and use the map.

They were done for you. Use them as you will. We just want you to have fun with them.

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester/Designer

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com