Who has the most kills by a 45mm in Citadel?

Whats the best people have gotten a 45mm to do in citadel? Last nite with EFOW one of mine got 4 PIVs and 3 PIIIs. I had it set in the rough behind the grove of trees with tank hunter teams on the left side of the map to catch the flanks of the advancing panzer wedges. Of course the other 6 guns i had around it were all KO'd but they gave the last gun time to do some serious damage. The little guns arent useless at all. I think theyre a great little weapon from ambush.

I think the best I've been able to do is two knockouts with one gun. I waited until most of the panzers had gone over the first set of hills (or rises) so I wouldn't have to worry about too many tanks returning fire. I might have gotten another tank if the 45mm gunner hadn't missed his first two shots.

In my second attempt at Citadel, only a single PzIII made it to the edge of the riverbed still mobile.

The rest of the Panzerforce had been taken out ot immobilized by 8 45MM and 4 AT rifle teams. 4 of the 45mms accounted for 5 or 6 Panzers in an ambush.

The rest of my force never engaged because the Panzers never made it that far.

Got all the tanks at the cost of all tank hunter teams, 4 guns and a few AT rifles. Twere quite easy, I just set up a choke point and waited until they were nearly point blank to open fire, at the same time, popping my two KVs into hull down positions in the front. Got 4 with one gun, i believe.

[ September 06, 2002, 06:08 PM: Message edited by: IronChef4 ]

I killed all german tanks in one turn - all of them by 45mm. - I think my positioning was gamey, 45mm were on both sides of the map and once tanks passed I opened fire.

Best one killed 3 PzIII and one PzIV

I lost only 1 45mm ATG

[ September 06, 2002, 06:17 PM: Message edited by: killmore ]

What did the Soviets make those darned 45 shells out of - glass? At least half my hits end up being 'shell broke up' I set up what I deemed to be a beautiful ambush, evidently I was wrong. One gun managed to expend all his ammo before dying (two kills) and another couple got down to very little again before dying. I killed only 9 tanks. Very entertaining all the same. Trying again soon, must try to hit from more angles!

Originally posted by Caesar:

What did the Soviets make those darned 45 shells out of - glass? At least half my hits end up being 'shell broke up'

45mm ammo was of spectacularly poor quality apparently. IIRC, Rexford posted about it at some point. I think this lasted until the end of '43 when things got better.