Churchill VIII vs. Panther: Surprising Test Results (Long)

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Andreas:

Hmm, maybe because fortifications were a lot more important in Italy then they were in NWE (outside the Siegfried line) - also, the lower number of tanks and the particular lay-out of the Italian countryside may increase survivability of Sextons. Finally, a hang-over from the desert times. I believe 8th Army did things differently in some respects. But to be honest, I am just guessing.<hr></blockquote>

Most of the Sexton/Priest Regiments in Italy were original converted from towed Field Regiments originally, in the Desert. As Artillery tended to have a much greater chance of aquiring experience and surviving, they'd have been composed of quite a lot of "old timers" who had been taught how to fight tanks and had the chance to practice it for real, against the Afrika Korps. All that combined would I have thought, tended to make 8th Army RA extremely experienced.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Brian:

Most of the Sexton/Priest Regiments in Italy were original converted from towed Field Regiments originally, in the Desert. As Artillery tended to have a much greater chance of aquiring experience and surviving, they'd have been composed of quite a lot of "old timers" who had been taught how to fight tanks and had the chance to practice it for real, against the Afrika Korps. All that combined would I have thought, tended to make 8th Army RA extremely experienced.<hr></blockquote>

That sounds sensible, and organisational/behavioural explanations appeal to me, so it must be right :D