Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

massed sharpshooters?

Has anyone played with massed sharpshooters? I was reading a report about the Vietnam snipers success. (I know sharpshooters are not snipers, and its WWII)

This got me thinking I wonder what would happen if you got a bunch 20+ sharpshooters and good HQ units with hiding & combat bonuses and turn them loose on an enemy infantry unit!?

youd proboable get a lot of broken a routed attacking infantry! in my experience, sharshooters(snipers) are much better at routing crews from their support weapon, buttoning up AFV/shocking them on occasion, and taking out one man here and one man there. when i buy them, i buy them because i expect enemy armour to be a nousance and i want to button them!

tim, when you get home tonight, answer my PBEM file smile.gif, and then run that test. if you had the points to buy crack/elite ones, and had a good +1/+2 combat bonus, im sure thered be a lot of bodies not running away!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sergeant Saunders:

Would have to be a scenario not QB, don't know any other way to get HQs for Shooters without a bunch of extra units. Shooters would probably work best on defense, also.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've tried some 'fun' scenarios with massed

sharpshooters, and in my opinion it isn't

cost effective to buy more than a few.

They have a specialized function in the

overall scheme of a battle plan, but

too many of them gives diminishing returns.

20+ and a good HQ, as you mention is about

400 pts. This is like 2 platoons of infantry

and a decent tank. The difference in

firepower output is gigantic there. On

the other hand, if you were playing a

40,000 point battle it might be a good

buy.

just my 2¢

--Rett

[ 08-06-2001: Message edited by: CMplayer ]

Well, I tried it out over the weekend and CMplayer is correct. They got their butts kicked, hard! For one thing, even edited, they only can have 15 shots. In the 30 turn game only a couple of the 22 shooters still had any ammo left. The HQs wouldn't stay hid and were also taken out early, removing those bonuses.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

The HQs wouldn't stay hid and were also taken out early, removing those bonuses.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here's a tip for you.

HQ units should almost always have an ambush point set up very near to themselves, so that they don't fire unless close assaulted. And they should usually also have "hide" orders.

If their platoon has expended most of its ammo and/or gotten shot to bits, then you should stop hiding them.