Crashes to DT in WIN98 se with CM

Hi all .. I get random crashes to DT anywhere from 2-6 turns in the game. I hear this tone and then CM is locked up no error press key crashes to my DT. Iam running WIN98 se fully updated a beta of DX8.0 ATI Expert 128 AGP 16mb. 128mb ram on an Intel P3-800eb Asus CUBX mainboard. Any help appreciated.

Thanks Michael

Michael Peters www.pedg.net

I would suggest NOT running the DirectX 8.0 beta. Your audio or video drivers (unless they came with the DirectX beta) may not be fully compliant with DX 8.0.

I haven't installed the beta myself, so I'm not sure if the uninstall routine will actually work or not (if it is even available). I would suggest sticking with DirectX 7.0a for the moment. I'm not sure if Charles has had a chance to look at the documentation/code for the new DirectX yet, so there may be tweaks that are necessary in the game to make it fully compatible (or at least "less problematic") if that is the case here.

I'm having the same problem as Waycool, I'm running DX7 with an Athlon 850Mhz, TNT2 Pro and 256 MB Ram. I've tried freeing up more resources (got it up to 95% free, which made my friends jealous), changing the Graphics card settings, in game settings, and even the extreme stuff, such as reinstalling windows (although that was for fixing something else). I'm using the full version with the 1.03 update.

------------------

As the bumper sticker says: "I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it!"

What sound card are you both using and does it have it's own IRQ (i.e. - not sharing it with another device like the video card) ?

You may want to examine any driver updates for your audio or you may have to tinker with your BIOS/CMOS settings if you have a PCI sound card that is sharing an IRQ.

You may also want to try adjusting your "acceleration sliders" for either your audio and/or video. These can be accessed (for audio) from C:\PROGRAM FILES\DIRECTX\SETUP\DXDIAG.EXE > Sound tab > "Hardware Sound Acceleration Level" slider. For video you can either go to the Display tab of the DirectX applet (and {i]disable DirectDraw or Direct3D or AGP support - Direct3D is probably your best bet) or go to Control Panel > System control panel > Performance tab > Graphics button and adjust the slider here. Adjusting these sliders will slow down CM's performance by forcing the CPU to do some or all of the work of the video card.